Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:22 AM   #1

Hi I know this officially isn't the forum to post this so apologies but there's not a lot of activitiy in the proper forum.

anyways I need a tripod...

my only real requirements are lightness (but obviously it's got to be stable) and did I mention lightness. Size as well I suppose I'd like it to be able to collapse it to put it in my rucksack to smaller than 45cm...

I've got £100 ($200) dollars to spend any more and I may end up single.

any help appreciated

Cheers

Pants
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:59 AM   #2

Hi Pants I bought a manfrotto modo maxi 785B tripod for use with my FZ20 and have never regretted it once.Its a superb piece of kit if youre not going to use it with heavyweight cameras and/or lenses.
It`s extremely versatile, with a max height of about 1.5m yet you can also unscrew a section of the centre column, splay the legs further and take ground level shots, and anything in between.Very lightweight,compact and easily fits into a medium rucksack.
And here`s the best bit.....its less than £50 inc P+P.....so you can score some brownie points with the wife by not spending as much as you`d expected

It`ll support my fz20 with a tcon-17 or ring flash attached no problem and is surprisingly stable considering its lightweight design. It`s got a handy quick release plate that can be left attached to the camera aswell, which saves a lot of hassle.
I got mine here.....

http://www.warehouseexpress.co.uk/

Look under photographic/tripods and heads/manfrotto/photographic.....it`s the second link down the list near the top of the page.If you want any pics of it let me know on here and i`ll snap a few for you....

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:17 AM   #3

Looking for a tripod:?No problem, they have 3 legs, you can't miss em !

I have a older Slik and my girl friend has a Culman. I also like a light weight tripod. The most important factor in making a selection not having to use the extender colum too much. A tripod should have a broad base of support (legs that spread out wide) for a maximum base of support. If you must use too much of the center columb it is counter productive, it is like balancing your light weight (compared to a 35mm slr) digital on a broom stick in a breeze.

If money is no object go for a gitzo.

BiLL

:|

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:55 PM   #4

Hi Pants,

The advicefrom Mark and Billseems fairly good. I have heard the manfrotto brand lauded in various places, and I think something lightweight, strurdy and simple to get on and off is the way to go.

Now a contrarian story for you. I had been wanting a tripod for a while and like you was searching for suggestions, when my wife spotted one on special in, of all places, the local supermarket. Being an inveterate bargain hunter she bought it and showed it to me proudly. As I want to stay alive I, of course, told her how how wonderfull it was. Now I am not claiming it matches the good brands and it may not last, but I have had it 4 months, have used it when needed both indoors and out and it has serverd me very well. I am planning to take it on a bush hike over the Easter break. I am sure it is not the same quality as the manfrotto and in rougher terrain I am ultra cautious in case it is not as sturdy as it should be, but for $9.99 it is still going OK.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 5:49 PM   #5

Pants,

I second Mark's recommendation of the Manfrotto Modo 785B. I've had one for about a month now and it's the best $75US I've spent on camera accessories!

It is light (2lb/1kg), tiny when collapsed (17in/43cm), and relatively tall when fully extended (59in/150cm). It comes with a great quick release joystick head which handles my FZ20 with no problem. (When I shoot super-zooms of birds with an Olympus TCON-14B and Contax 5 hood, this makes the camera very front-heavy and the head can barely handle that situation but I can live with that.)

I wish that it was a little taller when fully extended -- I'm 6ft tall. But I'm working on a solution to this that I'll pass along to those interested once I've confirmed that it works and that the tripod remains stable in this configuration.

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:01 AM   #6

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help I'm about to order a manfrotto as you suggested...

BETTER BE GOOD lol

Thanks again

Pants:-)
Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:57 AM   #7

Quicker than I expected I bought one ...

and

It's blooming ace so thanks for the advice guys!!!

The build quality is awesome and the joystick head is great and makes putting the camera on and off the head a 1 second job rather than having the screw it in every time.

Spririt level as well

And dam dam light ...and fits into my small bag with ease.

only question (I'm yet to test this) is whether it moves around a bit in the wind as the bottom legs are a bit thin ??!?!?

overall well chuffed thanks again

Pants
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:01 PM   #8

by the way im 6ft6 so I understand what you meant about it being a little higher ....

I think all things considered it's a small want for me in comparison to the weight and fold-up-able size

Pants
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:04 PM   #9

Glad you like the tripod Pants. I`ve not had much problems with mine in wind, despite the legs looking flimsy the camlocks are pretty effective at making the whole thing stable.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:18 PM   #10

[align=left]Hi there Pants~ After writing this, realize you already chose one, but keep this for a future maybe...I just spent way too much time looking for a tripod. I have the Pansonic FZ30, so didn't need a lot of bulk, but did want quality, stability and a relatively light tripod. I finally settled on the Manfrotto (Bogen) 725B, $100 at TELESCOPES.com, aftr I scored a $10 coupon for writing some littl ereview. They are very courteous & really fast ship also. Anyway, the tripod so far is exce,llent, ballhead with quickrelease. Very easy to operate, lightweight & stable, as I expected from this company (manfrotto).I did settle for the integrated ballhead as opposed to separate legs & head, but after looking at the prices & heft of some diff combinations (all Bogen) this one proved the best choice for me. I recommend you go to the manfrotto website & see what you can learn there. B&H photo is another site with good information & layout. Obviously your camera and personal needs will best drive your decision. Once you decide, check out Telescopes.com, also ebay may be a good place for excellent used condition as long as you can stand the supsense of a bidding situation! good luck! Anni G[/align]
annig is offline   Reply With Quote