Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:40 PM   #11

And another Slide with te Plustek, just resized:

Attached Images

kklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:43 PM   #12

And finally, thats my Plustek scanner:
I did about 2000 Scans with that.
voila:

Greetings
Klaus
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:16 PM   #13

Wow, that Plustek looks great. I recently got the Canon CanoScan4400F to scan my old negatives, which I thought does a really nice job, but your Plustek seems to blow it away.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:18 PM   #14

Thanks again everyone

Drowning in all this info. All these options can be mind boggling. At one time when you went to buy a pair of sneakers you only had to decide high top or low and black or white and the issue wa resolved !

I think it is not the best idea to expect a flat bed scanner to also provide good slid scans. I will stick to finding a flat bed for my old family pictures.

Klaus, I see the a Plustek at Amazon (USA) for $194.99. Can you tell me how large a print have you made from a 35mm slide you have scanned with as little cropping as possible? The reason I am asking is that I not too long ago had a 16"x20" print made from a omage produced with a 5mp Kodak camera that came out very good even when viewed at arms length.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:39 AM   #15

Hi Bill,

Just thought I'd chip in.

Another thing you can try is as follows....

Get 2 pieces of thick card or card backed foam slightly bigger than the flat bed glass for you to then cut to exact size.

Cut a whole in the centre of one piece of card backed foam to the exact size of your slide and the other slightly larger than the slide window. Stick the 2 pieces together and you should have a pocket for a slide to sit in which light will shine through.

You then need a piece of frosted plastic and a table lamp with one of those blue natural daylight bulbs. When we made one years ago we used another piece of card backed foam to make a little box, with the frosted plastic on top of it light will shine through this iluminating your slide you need to experiment with your table lamp to get the lighting correct.

Hope that makes sense .. anyways that's what I made for my mum years ago when she wanted to import her slides and at the time the entry level canon scanner (not many players in the market at the time) was about £5000 - $10000 so this was all we could afford. The results was good not spectacular but on par with a purpose made flatbed with light backplate and in some cases better as the light is adjustable.

I always planned to make a version 2 with multiple slide cutouts and a lightbox that fit over the entire flatbed with a superbright halogen bulb with reflectors to bounce the light around but never got round to it .. thinking about it I could have just used silver foil o well .. maybe later.

Cheers

Pants

PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:27 PM   #16

Hi Bill,
16"x20" is a really big print, I never did something like this.
The maximum was DIN A4 (paper-format) and you can get very good results.

Greetings
Klaus
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:39 PM   #17

My 16"x20" was done by SNAPFISH

There are many on digital print services and they often will give you as many as 50 free 4"x6" prints (this can be your first and or last order) and they only charge you for postage. Most use a good quality Kodak paper and some use a very good quality Fuji paper. I have close to 100 4"x^" prints from various sources for which I only paid the postage.

I recomend that you fix up the pictures prior to up loading to your own tast for best results.

Thanks again Klause

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote