Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:36 AM   #1

Does anyone here us a flatbed scanner to scan slides:?

I have a lot of old family photos to scan an was wondering if I should buy a flat bed scanner that also does slides. I have heard mixed reviews on slide handling (too slow, too poor in quality, works just fine etc.)

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:38 PM   #2

I have an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo, which scans slides fairly well — had a dedicated slide scanner (Polaroid) before it which was somewhat better but not easy to get good results from and painfully slow (full resolution scans were 50MB+) and didn't have the versatility of the flatbed

Though only about a third of what I paid for the Polaroid, that Epson is still an expensive beastie and you might find a cheaper model will do all you want — try and get a test drive first, tho'.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3

I just bought an HP G4050 flatbed scanner and am expecting it to arrive any day now. It was written up in this months Popular Photography as having greater color accuracy due to an additional light source. It also scans in 6 colors versus 3. It also has builtin editing software. They also have free classes on their website for scanning, digital photograhy, etc. Check it out at this link.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/s...PH!-1288062358

I too have hundreds of slides and 35mm negative film strips that I'd like to scan. I am planning on retiring soon and so this should keep me busy....Jer
Jer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:41 PM   #4

Bill,

I don't want to ruin the party but I do want to give you my experience scanning my old Ektachrome slides.

My Microtek ScanMaker X6EL flatbed scanner came with a slide/negative adapter that provides backlighting when scanning those items but even when using it the resulting image quality left a whole lot to be desired.

A friend mentioned in passing that she owned a Nikon Coolscan III Slide scanner which I was able to borrow (with a little persuasion) to evaluate its output vs. my other experience. The process is very time consuming!! but well worth it. (See http://rschofield.smugmug.com/Travel/270487 for samples.) I've only scanned a few dozen slides so far (I had to return the scanner while I'm snow-birding in Florida), but I'm very happy with the results (unlike with my earlier attempt).

Remember, your mileage (and others') may vary.

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:43 PM   #5

Results from a Microtek ScanMaker X6EL don't relate to current flatbeds. For starters the little adapter that comes with it uses some sort of magnetic thingy to drag the light across. It is totally useless and I threw the one that came with my 4900 away. The X6EL is also only 1200 PPI optical, which isn't nearly enough to make scanning film and slides worthwhile. My 4900 is 2400 PPI optical and still wouldn't do decent film and slide scanning due to the limitations of the adapter.

I have a dedicated film scanner, but it is too slow and cumbersome to convert a large collection. It works fine for individual shots I want to work with, but I would never try to convert my collection to digital with it.

Flatbeds like the Epson 4990 that Idle has will do an excellent job. Actually a little better than my older dedicated unit and almost as good as current upper end SOHO dedicated units. It has the advantage of doing many at once. If the 4990 is on the pricey side you might look at the 4490. It also has Digital Ice, which I think is a necessity for old slides. But it won't do as many at once as the 4990 and the dynamic range isn't quite as good.

After considerable research I had decided on the Canon 9950F, but unfortunately they discontinued it and those still available are over a hundred bucks more than they were a few months ago.

The HP G4050 hasn't done well in reviews. I'm not a big fan of CNet reviews, but they said this about it:
" If you intend to digitize large quantities of slides and negatives, or have originals with serious dust and scratches, I'd steer clear of this model; it seems a suboptimal choice for both. For the occasional batches of positives and negatives, and frequent print scans, it's a good deal for the money."
Vnunet said:
" Turn on the six colour scanning mode, and high-resolution scans will really test your patience. A 1,200dpi scan took a staggering 13 minutes 30 seconds to appear on screen - if you've got a set of 36 slides to scan in you could end up waiting more than eight hours." 1200 PPI isn't really enough to archive film and slides, and scratch and dust removal would increase that time. Even without six color scanning, a 3200 PPI scan with scratch and dust removal would take too long IMO. I would wait for a review from someone like Photo-i if interested in it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:21 PM   #6

Thank to all of you. Your inputs have been very helpful. So far it confirms I am lost in space and have more time than cash to spare at the moment. No one has touched on the Cannon scanners.

I am currently trying to decide what to take with me from the house of my parents that are deceased, looking for a 2 bedroom coop, the second bed room is for my desk/pc/ & other [email protected]. Will be looking for a lawyer to handle sale and purchase, a mover and carpet to comply with 80% floor covering rule.

So this scanner will sit and wait a bit longer and I plan to retire at the end of the year so I will have ample time to scan.

As I mentiioned all your feed back is very helpful, as good and better than the reviews on the amazon web site from buyers.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:14 PM   #7

Bill,

I have a Canon 8600F Flat Bed Scanner. I have been using it toarchive slides and negatives for the last six months. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it has given me acceptable results (it depends on your expectations). At times, it will have a hard time detecting the correct edges of a negative so I usually find the edges manually. It does not have a problem detecting the edges of slides. The software that came with the scanner is OK for basic fine tuning of the image but no where close to what Photoshop can do. Speed is the big issue. As mentioned in earlier posts, scan times can be lengthy depending on the resolution required. The more expensive scanners will scanfaster, but high resolution scans suck up a lot of processor resources and it can become very time consuming when manlipulating the images. So, unless you have one of the newer lightening fast processors, be patient and peck away at. There are also services to do the same thing. I'm not sure of the quality that comes out and it can be rather expensive if you have alot of images. I figure it will take me a year to get through all of my slides/negative in my spare time.

Good luck. Tom
ttkbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:37 PM   #8

Hi,
I have got a Canon 3200F Flatbed-scanner and a Plustek OpticFilm 7200 with Silverfast SE-Software.
I will show you my results (all pics are resized, with the same parameters):

The slide with the detail-area:

Attached Images

kklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:38 PM   #9

Now the Canon Flatbedscanner:

Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:39 PM   #10

Now the plustek OpticFilm at 3600:

Attached Images