Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:28 AM   #1

Used the tripod this time — I think its a bit clearer than hand-held.

Cropped & resized only.
Attached Images

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:33 AM   #2

Same shot — desaturated in PS to remove the fringing.
Attached Images

Old Apr 2, 2007, 2:04 AM   #3

might well have to get myself a Raynox lens ......

Nice work !!!

Pants
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 3:30 AM   #4

Nice shot. Good detail. Did you use any add on lense or just the FZ20.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:11 AM   #5

I used a Raynox 2020 Pro, which pushes the magnification up by 2.2x to a 35mm equivalent of 950.4mm, so it needs a pretty stable base.

Camera was mounted on a Velbon SX-621 tripod, which is overkill for an FZ — it was used for a 1980's video camera that weighed about 4Kg.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:14 AM   #6

Both nice images, I prefer the colours of no1 despite the slight fringing though.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:22 AM   #7

Idle wrote:
Quote:
I used a Raynox 2020 Pro, which pushes the magnification up by 2.2x to a 35mm equivalent of 950.4mm, so it needs a pretty stable base.

Camera was mounted on a Velbon SX-621 tripod, which is overkill for an FZ — it was used for a 1980's video camera that weighed about 4Kg.
Thanks for the response idle, you got a real good result. The detail is v good. If you have Photoshop you can get rid of the fringing with one of the filters. (filter/distort/lens correction and then you adjust for chromatic aberration). Like Mark I like the coloured version.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:33 AM   #8

Nice moon shots!!! I have not tried any of those yet!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:52 AM   #9

Great shot...What were the F-stop, Shutter Speed and metering mode used for the shot please?
frogman946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:09 PM   #10

The exif data says 1/125th, F2.8, ISO 80, aperture priority, plus I used spot metering — which probably makes little difference for an object that far away (how infinite is infinity?) full zoom + the Raynox 2020 Pro — no filters or lens hood.

I find the best way of getting useable images in such conditions is to start with a stable base for the camera, set timer mode (to minimise vibration) and the widest possible auto bracket setting, then take a shot in every mode bar movie and macro.

With 3 shots in each mode this gives you a stack of frames to choose from, some of which are likely to be acceptable (in this case I had four or five to choose from.)

For even better results, go to the top of a mountain as far from the city as you can get (these were taken from my inner suburban Melbourne backyard, so would have been to some extent light affected.)

Oh and Rafe, if you should read this, I did try the chromatic filter adjustment in PS — all it did was make the fringing more obvious, so I left it as it came from the camera.

Tip: Unless you have lots of $$$$, don't try this "technique" with your film camera... :-)