Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:59 PM   #1

Bluestone is a common building material in Melbourne, not really blue it is essentially grey. It is common due to the fact that a few years ago (10M to be more precise) most of the area west of Melbourne was covered by huge lava flows. The resulting basalt stone has formed the foundation for many of Melbournes buildings. In contrast to Sydneys livelier looking sandstone, Melbourne gets its greyish appearance from the blue/grey basalt that dominates around town.

Grey on Grey

Even the sunshine can look grey

But a flash of colour slices through it all

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:17 PM   #2

Sydney may have a livelier look, but your basalt city should far outlast that sandstone. Meantime, a nice flow from gray to less gray to gray with color. What was the shutter speed on that third one?
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:41 PM   #3

liked the symmetry of the grate.......but the lady passing thru kinda blended it all in......good shot...pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:43 PM   #4

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
Sydney may have a livelier look, but your basalt city should far outlast that sandstone. Meantime, a nice flow from gray to less gray to gray with color. What was the shutter speed on that third one?
Thanks happy. Yeah the bluestone isn't going anywhere in a hurry. In fact when they pull old buildings down or dig up the older roadwork, there are always excited buyers ready and willing to pick up some bluestone at cheap prices.

EXIF Info for you
Camera make Panasonic
Camera model DMC-FZ30
Focal length 8.4 mm
Max lens aperture f/2.8
Exposure1/13 at f/5
FlashNot fired, compulsory mode
Exposure bias-1 EV
Exposure prog.Aperture priority
ISO speed ISO 80
Metering mode Spot

The rule of thumb I have always heard is that 1/60th is enough to freeze basic human mition, so anything beneath that gets you the blur, too slow and people actually disappear like in my market shots from a couple of weeks ago.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:44 PM   #5

Nice series of shots Rafael, the last one is perfect.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:50 PM   #6

Thanks Peter and Ted. Yeah I really liked the last one as well.

I started this set with the grey on grey for the panachallenge which is for lines and stripes. Whilst shooting the first couple I imagined something like the third, but had to get about 30 shots before I nailed it. People would refuse to walk in front till I had shot, or walked too close to the camera or there were too many or they wore dark clothes or I just plain fluffed it. I got lucky with this young woman who came through in her lovely bright top and I managed to get the shot I had imagined.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:19 AM   #7

Great job with the third shot Raf....superb effect there.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 7:17 AM   #8

Thanks Mark. I was happy with the shot. When you visualize something and it more or less comes off you have to be pleased.