Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1

I find these quite challenging to get pictures of. They are quite wary and it is very hard to get close. And for some reason, the colors on their head always seem to want to run together like the picture is over processed. That happens to all pictures at any camera settings, so I think it is the nature of the bird instead of me. All these shots were taken with a C-180 converter, and I think that adds a little redness to the breast spots. Although, the last one appeared to already have some.

Back View

In the woods

At the cemetary

Frisky Flickers. The male has the mustache.

Red-hearted Flicker. This was a terrible picture, but that patterned breast was worth saving anyway.

I hope you enjoyed my overdose of Flickers.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:07 AM   #2

No overdose here Happy. I too find them a hard bird to capture as I can rarely get close. Looks to me like you did a fine job.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:53 AM   #3

Beautifully marked Bird there Happy, and not an easy one to shoot by the sound of it. Nice work.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:05 AM   #4

What a nice looking bird!!! Those shots look pretty good to me and the "male has a moustache"!!!! Is that ever interesting and nature sure is an interesting subject!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:36 PM   #5

Great looking birds, awesome markings. 2, 3 & 4 are the best in the set #4 is my #1 pick after a little cropping.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 3:12 PM   #6

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
Great looking birds, awesome markings. 2, 3 & 4 are the best in the set #4 is my #1 pick after a little cropping.

Hiroshi
I really need to try and remember to number my photos when I post them. Number 4 you say? So I had to go up to the top and start counting down.

Number 4 (all of them in fact) have been cropped quite a bit already. I tried a bit tighter though. With my blurry eyes I am never sure when the cropping induced degradation becomes noticible.

Here is another shot of the pair being not quite so cozy with each other.

Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:36 PM   #7

heres a thought peasant, carry some cookies or birdseed peasant whenver you plan to go birding... and throw it for the birds to feed that might give you the extra minutes you need.....(havent tried it myself but will do so next time....when spring returns.....snowed today in toronto......imagine that .....a white easter).......coz they flit around like crazy and never wanna stay still.........i like the shots esp the cozy couple shot.....pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:46 PM   #8

deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
heres a thought peasant, carry some cookies or birdseed peasant whenver you plan to go birding... and throw it for the birds to feed that might give you the extra minutes you need.....(havent tried it myself but will do so next time....when spring returns.....snowed today in toronto......imagine that .....a white easter).......coz they flit around like crazy and never wanna stay still.........i like the shots esp the cozy couple shot.....pete
Although bread works for some gulls, I don't think bribery would work for flickers. They eat ants. They have been known to go to suet feeders, but there is no way I am going to carry around greasy suet. And, they always hang out more then a stone's throw away from people. The couple shot I took while leaning against a tree. The birds did not see me and landed there. The cemetary shot was while in a parked car. Woods shots were just lucky.

Thanks for the thought though. Enjoy your snow. Nothing like a white Easter.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:04 PM   #9

Great flicker photos. They do seem to get a little used to humans after a while and a pair enjoys the water supply more than the food supply at the NM place.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:29 PM   #10

Happy, those are some very nice captures. Don't think we have this one. At least, I've haven't noticed any, I sure have plenty ants this time of year.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote