Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:25 PM   #21

The "furnace" is a multi-pass steam boiler — the hot gas from the fire passes through the tubes, which are surrounded by water.

Used to own/run them (much later ones than that, tho', and fired by oil and gas) myself.

Excellent series of pix.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:22 AM   #22

Looks like a great place to explore and, as you have shown, take interesting photos.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:33 AM   #23

Thanks a lot for the comments. So interesting to learn about the boiler as I thought of it more as a furnace! Have more photos maybe I will post. Would like to go back on a warm sunny day, before it is closed for good!!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:42 AM   #24

Quote:
The "furnace" is a multi-pass steam boiler — the hot gas from the fire passes through the tubes, which are surrounded by water.

Used to own/run them (much later ones than that, tho', and fired by oil and gas) myself.
Sorry but I meant to ask if you might know how old this boiler was? Here is a photo of the door on the furnace if this might help!

Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:49 AM   #25

and also, from bayourebel's post, this is what they are proposing for the site!!! far different from the first photo I posted!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:50 AM   #26

thanks annie for daring to venture in and capture some moments in history, before so-called 'progress' moves in and erases it forever, great shots, especially since it looked like a very dull day with challenging light conditions, nice composition to and different viewpoints make it intersting....pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:19 PM   #27

Thanks for looking and for the comments!!!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:38 AM   #28

Re the boiler, I can't put a date to it — their evolution was fairly slow, but I'd say 20th century and pre WW2, at a guess 1920's/30's — it looks to be of arc welded construction, not hot rivetted as the 19th and very early 20th century kettles were.

It appears to be a coal-fired and shovel-fed unit — running them was hard, hot and unpleasant work.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:31 AM   #29

Wow, that is so interesting. There were so many interesting bits of equipment there and I was wondering what some of them were used for. Thanks for adding that information, I appreciated it and learnt something new!!!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:40 PM   #30

This was a very nice slice of local history. I like that sliding red door shot. Among others.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote