Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:15 PM   #1

These were a bit far away, even with the TCON 1.7, for really good detail. There was too much water lilies (hycinths) between us. Closer, they would have flown away.

Attached Images

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:27 PM   #2

Maybe not as close as you would have liked, but closer then any I saw today. And it is so green! The wife and I walked a path between a river and a lake today. Two herons flew off, the closest was in the woods and no chance of a shot, 28 degrees, gloomy, and a stiff wind. I would have loved the chance to scare your herons off.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:47 PM   #3

Thanks for viewing and commenting Steve. This is on the edge of a swamp, there are often herons and egrets, but they fly off as soon as humans approach, I think they know Cajuns eat about anything.:lol:
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:18 AM   #4

Really nice picture and nicely composed....too bad it's a little out of focus.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:44 AM   #5

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:

Hiroshi
Thanks Hiroshi. I agree. Out of six shots, this was still my best one. Guess I am just not steady enough for hand held with the telephoto at full 12x.

P.S. I do appreciate your viewing and commenting. I should have propped the camera on the truck and tried the 2 sec timer, but I knew if I got out, they would fly off.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:29 PM   #6

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:

Hiroshi
Thanks Hiroshi. I agree. Out of six shots, this was still my best one. Guess I am just not steady enough for hand held with the telephoto at full 12x.

P.S. I do appreciate your viewing and commenting. I should have propped the camera on the truck and tried the 2 sec timer, but I knew if I got out, they would fly off.
Been in the same situation many times myself....with the same results. I thought about springing for this unusual tripod once or twice.... it can behooked to a car windowor braced againstone's chest. It's called an Ergorest.

Hiroshi

Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:50 PM   #7

Our herons are just as wary, i`ve yet to get within 30yds of one so the few shots I have are pretty poor. From the sounds of it, you did well to get this shot before they flew away.Looks very summery in that shot, nice one.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 4:43 PM   #8

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
Our herons are just as wary, i`ve yet to get within 30yds of one so the few shots I have are pretty poor. From the sounds of it, you did well to get this shot before they flew away.Looks very summery in that shot, nice one.

Mark
One benefit to living in a highly populated urban area is the herons are less shy sometimes. I am sure this summer I will be able to post some heron/egret shots at half zoom that fill the frame. This is with my old 3X zoom Kodak camera (forgive me), and is uncropped.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:07 PM   #9

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:

Hiroshi

Been in the same situation many times myself....with the same results. I thought about springing for this unusual tripod once or twice.... it can behooked to a car windowor braced againstone's chest. It's called an Ergorest.

Hiroshi
Now, that does look like a nice and useful gadget, but I see why you mentioned thinking about this unusual tripod, as it can be a bit pricey. Have you researched it and found a reasonable price?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:09 PM   #10

Mark H wrote:
Quote:

Mark
Thanks Mark. Normally, birds and squirrels, over time in populated areas become accustomed to people and will allow them to get closer. But not so here, except in heavy populated areas, such as Baton Rouge.