Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:16 PM   #1

My current technique for shooting birds is to have the camera either on auto-bracket or on low speed burst mode. I take a few shots when I see a bird, but if it looks like it is going to stay a moment I hit the timer button to get a two second timer and then push the shutter button and try and be steady. Either setting gives 3 shots when the timer is used. This seems to me to result in steadier shots then I get just pushing the shutter. These shots were all teleconverter shots. The warbler was in the woods and sparrow at an edge. The warbler could be a bit sharper, but I am quite satisfied with the shots posted. Unless of course I get better ones, but the way these birds flit the odds are not with me. All shots aperture priority.

Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler
1/200 second. f/3.6

1/320 second. f/3.6

Field Sparrow
Sun kept dabbling with clouds for these shots so I had to play with aperture.
1/400 second. f/4.5

1/500 second. f/5.6 He kept hamming it up and this was the cutest.

I hope you enjoy the birds. Feel free to comment.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:54 PM   #2

Very nice Steve. I shall have to try your method with the timer.

P.S. Seems to be some greenery in the sparrow shots. Could that be hopefully a sign of something you might be wishing for?
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3

Very nice captures Happy,. Love the sparrow pictures.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:26 PM   #4

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
P.S. Seems to be some greenery in the sparrow shots. Could that be hopefully a sign of something you might be wishing for?
We do have a little greenery. Much of which is wilted by the frost.

Regarding your garden. There is a device called a Wall O Water that I use for early tomato plants. They work well for me for a few years and then fall apart. But I have on occasion had red fruit by the 4th of July, which is way early for up here.

http://gardenharvestsupply.com/produ...p;idproduct=15

I buy them at Burpees but edited this to replace the link with this one as the Burpee link was way to long for the page.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:59 AM   #5

nice work!
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:42 AM   #6

Happy P.

Wall of water thing caught my attention. Did a cut/paste/google

You can make a wall of water.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lab/msg0516363918431.html?1

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:46 AM   #7

All your shots are nicely framed. I love the last 2 shots.

Your first 2 shots look soft, overexposed and there is purple fringing,... try this experiment and see how it works out...stop them down an f-stop or 2, itwill reduce purple fringing and give you greater depth if field, bringing your subjects in greater focus. If they come out a little underexposed, you can always correct that in post processing.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 1:48 PM   #8

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:

Your first 2 shots look soft, overexposed and there is purple fringing,... try this experiment and see how it works out...stop them down an f-stop or 2, itwill reduce purple fringing and give you greater depth if field, bringing your subjects in greater focus. If they come out a little underexposed, you can always correct that in post processing.

Hiroshi
The shot below is closer to what the shot looked like out of the camera. For these shots I used Elements 4.0 Smart Fix, and thought it looked a little paler then it should but used it anyway. This one I did not use the Smart Fix key but only Contrast and Saturation. I thought it looked better but figured Elements knows more then I do. (Silly me.)

I use manual settings when I can, but for general walking through the woods I usually use aperture priority, and when I stopped down a bit the shutter speed went way too low for my shaky hands.

Thanks for your always appreciated comments. I hope for enough sun to lower that f-stop my next walk.

Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:00 PM   #9

Thats a nice capture Happy. I`d be well pleased with that one. Shows off the yellow parts very well. Like the other shots too, those sparrows look a lot more colourful than our house sparrows.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:31 PM   #10

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:

Hiroshi
The shot below is closer to what the shot looked like out of the camera. For these shots I used Elements 4.0 Smart Fix, and thought it looked a little paler then it should but used it anyway. This one I did not use the Smart Fix key but only Contrast and Saturation. I thought it looked better but figured Elements knows more then I do. (Silly me.)

I use manual settings when I can, but for general walking through the woods I usually use aperture priority, and when I stopped down a bit the shutter speed went way too low for my shaky hands.

Thanks for your always appreciated comments. I hope for enough sun to lower that f-stop my next walk.

I like this one much better....and yes the human eye is better than any program... I override mine all the times
Here's a little trick you can do to hi-lite the bird and bring the eye to it...if you have a dodge and burn feature on your program you can spot contrast+lighten the bird by hand...the trick is to use low settings and go over the subject many times. I've quickly reworked your picture to illustrate my point...hope this helps.

Hiroshi

Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote