Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:10 AM   #1

An easter away, so I decided to revisit Tarra-Bulga national park. It has been about 10 years. Set off early with a bit of morning mist still about

Started in the Tarra valley. This is cool temperate rainforest, it receives about 1.7M of rain a year (a little over 5.5 feet). So as you can imagine there are a few ferns about.

In fact these deep gullies are home to over 40 species of fern.

and the 1,000 year myrtle beech pre-date much of the more recent eucalyptus forest.

A clear view across the gully

with so much moisture there are plenty of funghi, this one was the size of a match head

Further uphill the ferns thin out a bit and the trees are now mountain ash (eucalyptus regnaans). These rival the california redwood as the tallest plants (not the most massive) and have no rival as the tallest flowering plants

these are younger than the myrtle beech in the gullies, this one is a mere 500 years old and only 60 metres (just shy of 200 feet), which is 30 metres shy of the taller specimens deeper in the forest.

g

And then the surprise.....a male lyrebird, these are shy buggers and not often seen, so to spot one at the end of four hours of hiking not 10 meters from the car was a real treat. Still a bit dark and I did not remember to bump up the iso so I could not freeze the motion and these two were the best I got.

1/8 f3/7

1/20 f3.6

I was so happy I hardly noticed the views from the ridge of theStrzelecki ranges on the way home

back to the coast....

I'll stop boring you now........of course if you are a fern person there is one or two more shots at http://rafael.zenfolio.com/p814249074

--
cheers
Rafael (FZ30)
http://rafael.zenfolio.com/ (referral code on my page)

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:24 AM   #2

Nice series, Rafe — I grew up in South Gippsland, and yet I've never been there (was rather too far to ride my bike between milkings...)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:56 AM   #3

Idle, I have been holidaying in South Gippsland for about 30 years. Just love the place. Always something to look at. Thanks for looking.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:07 AM   #4

A wonderful series of a very beautiful place. It easy to see why you have been going there for 30 years. Is that family walking ahead?
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:15 AM   #5

What beautiful shots and sure looks like a beautiful spot!!! It is only when you see the shots of the people in the photo that you really realize how big the ferns are and what a lush area. thanks for sharing!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:41 AM   #6

Excellent series Raf, the lyrebird shots came out very well considering the shutter speeds....

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:28 PM   #7

Rafael, what an awesome area, rain-forest indeed...now that's foliage. My favorite pictures in the set are #1, 5, 7and 11....I would frame 5 and 7 for sure. Thanks for posting these and letting us share your trek

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:10 PM   #8

Thanks Jerry, Annie, Mark and Hiroshi. Appreciate your kind comments.

I included the people in some of the shots specifically to get a sense of scale. Quite often it is hard to tell without some reference. The family in 7 is not mine, mine stayed back at the beach house lazing in the hammocks on the verandah, and the ugly bugger in 8 is me using the 10 second timer.

I WAS really happy with these lyrebird shots given the conditions. I just kept my finger on the button and took about 60 in the hope I would get a couple of useable ones and I did. These birds are spectacular when they display, they put their feathers out in the shape of a lyre (hence the name). Quite often the only way you know one is about is because you hear the sound of 10 different birds coming from one spot. Or occasionally the sound of a chainsaw, or a dog. There fellers can mimic almost anything.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:48 PM   #9

Spectacular pictures Rafael. I would of never thought that ferns could grow that big. The birds look very nice despite the light conditions.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:10 PM   #10

Emmanuel, thank you for the nice comments. Yes this is real prehistoric stuff, when you walk among the tree ferns you feel like a dinosaur might pop up around any corner.