Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:46 PM   #1

Easter was almost uniformly fine, so I decided to try a couple of different (for me) shots.

I found when pointing my camera at these very dark scenes that the viewfinder and LCD were next to useless for framing the shots, I could see nothing in it and in many cases even after I had taken a shot could see nothing in the review. My question therefore is: What is the correct technique for taking night shots and being able to frame and expose these sorts of shots ?

All shot manual with a tripod.

Orion - 60 s at f2.8

The Southern Cross 60 s at f2.8 (and a hint of the milky way. I actually had to shift exposure down in these in ACR because the milky way was too bright)

Our friend the moon 1/40 at f3.7

and 1/80 at f3/7

Venus setting over Venus Bay with the lights of Inverloch in the distance 30s at F2.8

and again 25s at f4.5 with some people walking on the beach

and a slightly more traditional shot 1/1250 at f5 and -2ev

--
cheers
Rafael (FZ30)
http://rafael.zenfolio.com/ (referral code on my page)
http://rafael.zenfolio.com/img/p274502969-2.jpg
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:37 AM   #2

keoeeit, thanks for the extensive response. Quite a few good ideas here. I essentially did the lining up the barrell think on the shots, got a few crooked horizons and out of focus shots. I wish they had a simple focus on infinity setting on the camera.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3

Rafael, I'm not into astronomy, but I can comment on your last three shots which I think are great. I especially like the 2 ocean shots, they have a mood. The little patch of grass in #5 adds just that needed spot of color and frames the shot.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:15 PM   #4

Hiroshi, thank you. I am not normally into astronomy shots either, but it seemed a shame to waste such clear nights.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:43 PM   #5

Those are great shots and I luv all of them!!! my favourite is the last one and looks likea perfect ending to the day.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote