Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:43 AM   #1

I had a really hard time getting any shots through the glass, but this one turned out OK. It's probably the best pic I've had from all the games I've been to this year (about 9). Just thought I'd share for all you hockey fans out there (sorry the pic is so large - I don't know how to shrink it).

Melissa (http://www.mkklein.smugmug.com)

Niklas Backstrom - MN Wild

ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:57 AM   #2

Great shot of the NHL's number 1 goalie! I'm cheering for the Wild in the playoffs. I've got 3 Wild players in my hockey pool.
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:14 AM   #3

Thanks! I'm hoping they do well in the playoffs, too, but we've always had a hard time with Anaheim -can't get much by Giguere. Either way, it's been so much fun to watch them this season!
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:41 AM   #4

Go Canucks!!

PS.... nice shot. Arena lighting is tough. Good job!

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:27 PM   #5

This is a very clear and sharp shot. This hard time getting shots through the glass; was it due to focus problems or reflection? If focus problems then manual focus would probably give you better results.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:36 PM   #6

Thanks guys!

Happy - the problems I had were with the lighting (the ice always seemed to be tinged pink), shooting through the glass because of the markings/scuffs on the glass, and getting a fast enough shutter speed to slow the action. I usually had it at or close to full zoom, which also made it a little more difficult to stop any camera shake. I have a bunch more pictrures up for comparison on my smugmug website under sports (www.mkklein.smugmug.com). There are galleries from about 5 different games this year. I think I've tried a different technique each game trying to see what works better. This last time I didn't use a flash andupped theISOto 200 and 400. It seemed to work out better than usual, but still not perfect. AND, since I don't have playoff tickets, I guess I'll just have to keep working at it next year. :G

Melissa
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:44 PM   #7

I went and looked at the smugmug shots. They are not bad. I assume you trashed a lot of action shots since most of the shots posted are static shots. I am sorry you don't have playoff tickets to keep experimenting. It looks like you were having a good time there.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:53 PM   #8

Yeah, most of the action shots wern't that great, so I didn't put them up on the website. Those guys are so fast, it's hard to get a good pic of them when they're in action! Maybe I'll get it figured out by next year...
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:50 PM   #9

This shot is so good that it looks like a posed publicity shot. It's quite an achievement, considering you shot this through glass

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:26 PM   #10

Thanks, Hiroshi! That means a lot to me, especially comming from "the master". :-)

Melissa