Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:42 PM   #1

I have the Fuji F30 for its purposes and I am looking to replace my old Dimage Z3, that actually takes come pretty good pictures. The FZ8 looks like it fits what I need. My question is; does the RAW in the FZ8 really make a difference in picture quality, especially noise, and control? I have used RAW in the DSLRs at work and it's amazing what you can do. Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:53 AM   #2

Hi, I'm certainly no authority but i do have an FZ8. I've found myself just using JPGs rather then RAW mainly because of the processing time (on the camera and on the computer) and storage space.

What I will say is that if you take a shot which you've slightly messed up say the white balance you can correct it without degrading the image.

As far as noise is concerned it is the same as JPGs. Where it differs is that you can use a different noise reduction system such as noise ninja to process it.

I will probably use RAW far more often when RAW support is added to ADOBE Photoshop as having to use "Silky Pix" (panasonics software) and then import it into CS3 really slows things down.

With the price of memory cards being so low (unlike FUJI I might add)(I bought a 4gb card for £10 or $20) space is becoming less of a premium so I may use it more in the future.

The RAW on the FZ8 shouldn't be any less amazing than the SLRs you've used it should work the same but..... if there's noise on the CCD there will be noise in the image regardless of what u do.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Pants
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:24 PM   #3

Thanks for reply Pants. I'm not expecting miracles from the smaller CCD. I expect to shoot no more than 400 ISO. I've downloaded many FZ8 images and run them through Noiseware. I think it work for what I need.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:06 AM   #4

Any FZ8 RAW users out there?
Old May 3, 2007, 2:40 AM   #5

Does the FZ8 RAW compensate for high ISO noise? Not expecting DSLR quality.
Old May 3, 2007, 9:07 AM   #6

RAW does not compensate for noise...it does give you the choice of how you remove the noise but thats it.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 11:18 AM   #7

Hi, the big difference with Raw and/och Jpeg is the choise to work with the picture "before" or "after" VenusIII. Some people means that is possible to work with Jpeg too but, as I said, Jpeg-picture is already modified by camera. I'm using RAW with my FZ8 when I WANT work with the picture or when I want obtain a better quality.

A sunny day, 100 ISO or RAW will not make any difference. By evening with more than 200 ISO ther'is just RAW.

Just learn Silkypix.
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote