Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:16 PM   #1

Panasonic point and shoots have a reputation for having the most noise. So is noise reduction software such as Neat Image or Noiseware a must? What is your opinion on the subject?
Pinesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:01 PM   #2

I have an FZ20, and have found neatimage very useful at times for saving noisy shots. One thing I have found though, is that noise is far more apparent when there are large areas of green on shots. Why green backgrounds are more noisy i`ve no idea, but even at ISO200 noise hasnt been too bad provided no large areas of green have been in the shot.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:14 PM   #3

It is very much based upon your use of the photos ...if they are to be displayed at 1200 pixels wide or so on a monitor or printed up to 8 X 10s and you are not hunting noise I think you will find very little.

I have about every NR program made and while I used them a good bit on the FZ10 and 20....I find almost no use for them at all with the FZ30

I have about 30,000 photos from the FZ30 and while many have been PP almost none have any NR run on them.

I really feel that getting the proper exposure on the part of the photo you are most interested in is the best way to avoid seeing noise.

And this is only my opinion but never use aminus exposure compensation......unless it is for some special effect you are after. ( it is just as easy to learn how the camera meters and use that to your advantage)
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:42 PM   #4

genece wrote:
Quote:
I really feel that getting the proper exposure on the part of the photo you are most interested in is the best way to avoid seeing noise.

And this is only my opinion but never use aminus exposure compensation......unless it is for some special effect you are after. ( it is just as easy to learn how the camera meters and use that to your advantage)
I have an FZ7 so I deleted some of this quote, but want to second the parts I kept. The nice and properly exposed photos I take don't hardly need noise reduction. I do quite often use a minus exposure compensation, but only because I often need the faster shutter speed due to animals moving or full zoom/tele converter. But properly exposed shots from the start usually have very little noise.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:52 PM   #5

I have an FZ20 and I do use noise reduction about 20% of the time. A good and FREE noise reduction program that you can dounload from the net is called "NOISEWARE COMMUNITY EDITION". Try it, once you learn how to fine tune it it works quite well.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:00 PM   #6

I`d echo the comments regarding correctly exposed shots. Recently I can count on one hand the number of pics that have required noise reduction software to be used.....those which have have been those with lots of green in the shot (see my earlier post on this thread). Underexposed shots in particular can look pretty awful after correcting the brightness etc due to noise becoming apparent.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:04 PM   #7

We are all being very agreeable.

I have the FZ30. I would think that about 95% of my shots have not had any noise work on them. Sometimes I can see some noise at full size but at the size I view on the monitor or when I print it all just disappears just like the 'sound and fury' about panasonic noise. As the others have said a properly exposed shot at the lower ISO speeds almost never needs noise processing.

In some situations:
- when using higher ISO settings (I try and avoid 400ISO on the FZ30)
- when pushing exposure in PP (Ie trying to bring up underexposed shadow areas)
- in quite low light (indoor sports shots)
I have experienced bothersome noise and noise ninja has worked well for me. I believe the other suggestions of noiseware and neat image are also very good.

So the summary is I hardly ever need it, but I have the software for the times I do need it.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:43 PM   #8

dont know enough to contribute positively but thoroughly enjoyed reading all the comments.....a learning experience for me..... you guys and gals seem to know your stuff so thnaks for sharing your ideas...thanks.....pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:30 AM   #9

Well, I'm not a particularly good photographer yet so just take 100s of pictures and hope a few come out good.

I was taking pictures with a friend the other day and we ended up taking over 800 pictures of his kid at track. I ran every picture through Neat Image. All with ranging noise levels and sensitivties.

Do you think that was a bad idea? Will it hurt the image to run it through the software even if it doesn't nessecarily need it?
Pinesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:07 AM   #10

You did save the originals, didn't you?

Compare before and after processing and decide for yourself which version is better. Everyone has their own idea of what looks good. If you are happy with it, then that is what matters.
f1charlie is offline   Reply With Quote