Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:54 PM   #1

Hi, Have had the FZ30 about a year, like it very much. I do agree with a post I just read that it is not good for indoor sports...I had a similar experience. Played with settings, took suggestions etc.

This is unrelated, I simply want to try an add-on flash unit...I understand it will yield better results. I find oftentimes built-in flash units don't give great results. Too bright. My understanding is angling the light slightly away etc gives more flattering light.

What is the difference between the 3 Panny models I've seen FL28, FL360 and FL500? Looks like the latter 2, certainly the 500 have built-in sensor with "bounce" technology to give better results? I don't know how much that is worth.

I am not a professiona photographer, but have started doing a little freelance and want to add the flash, maybe also buy some filters to protect the lens, uv might be good for bright days etc.

Main question is on the flash units. I'm not adverse to non-Panny brands....really didn't want to pay more than $100 bucks for a flash unit. Is this possible?

D
dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:30 PM   #2

Hello,
I have only got an FZ20, but look at my old thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...;highlight=t32

This works very fine

greetings
Klaus
kklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:34 PM   #3

Actually since you live in the USA, a sunpak 383 is easy for you to get hold of and will work at least as well as any flash you mentioned. and is under 100 dollars.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:29 PM   #4

Thank you. I can see the flash really does makes a difference.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:29 PM   #5

Thank you. I had read good reviews about the Sunpaks.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:49 PM   #6

Genece and the giys are spot on you can't go too wrong with the Sunpak 383. If your looking for a Flash taht you could use TTL in teh future then get the OLY FL50 - its the same as the Pana FL500 but several hundred dollars less . I have it and its a very good flash indeed and in manual mode it is very easy to use and setup.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:50 PM   #7

The sunpak 383 is an excellent flash, I got lucky and found a used one in a camera store for $35.00 and get great results with it on my FZ30.
Bouncing it off a white cieling or wall gives you very nice diffused light.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:35 PM   #8

Let me ask everyone. Does the Sunpak HAVE to be manually adjusted for settings, or will it "speak" with the camera, similar to Auto-Focus where it will adjust to the cameras zoom, focus, etc? Stopped by the camera shop on the way home, and while the store could not give me a definitive answer, said that some times that is the benefit of staying with the camera brand's accessories. It doesn't sound as if it's been an issue with the people posting here.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:07 PM   #9

Another vote for the Sunpak 383.

It wont talk to your camera like a ttl flash, but it has a built in light sensor and auto settings. You would need a different camera (FZ50) to use the ttl feature of a ttl flash anyway. Like everytning else camera related, if you play around with it a bit ,to see what the different settingss do, you will figure it out pretty quickly.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:33 PM   #10

I thought the FZ30 was compatible with TTL? Guess not.