Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:02 PM   #1

I haven't been spending much time with the macro lenses this week, I've been trying to shoot some birds. It's not as easy as it looks.

I believe this is a finch but someone who knows alot more about birds will probably correct me. This was shotwith the Raynox DCR-1540 teleconvertor.

I saw this little guy walking around, it's a mutant fly. The wings and back half of it's body didnt develop, it's one of the strangest things I have ever seen.I didn't have my macro lenses or flashwith me. I removed the teleconvertor and shot this using the macro mode.

Today I was out looking for birds again when I spotted this lizard sunning itself on the wall. The lizards around here normally don't let me get very close, any closer than six feet and they hide. So I havent really had much luck getting good pictures of them. The lizards are pretty small about 4-6 inches from nose to tail. I wanted to get some magnification but I couldn't get too close so I used the 2 diopter lens from the 5320 stacked on the 1540 teleconvertor. At full zoom I can be 18-20 inches from the subject and still get the detail I want. That is alot closer than the lizards normally let me get, but today it worked out.

vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:12 PM   #2

Nice pics all around.

The Finch shot is Lovely

First there was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... and now Mutant Fly...My my, whats next?:G

The Lizard shots are very sharp. I Like them all

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:40 PM   #3

Nice series!! The finch looks like a sparrow to me!!! Great shots!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments!

You could be right Annie, I really don't know birds. The only things I'm certain aboutare,it's small, doen't stay in one place long, and it likes the shade.All of which addsup to a terrible combination for getting good photos. I think I might try using the sunpakflash next time the bird was only 20-25 feet away.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:00 AM   #5

Nice series of shots.

Desert lizards are really different than the little green Anoles we have here.

As for the fly, well.... that's just creepy looking!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:43 AM   #6

All are very nice shots. I agree with Annie, the bird does look more like the Old World Sparrow.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:28 PM   #7

Nice lizard shots... One thing I really miss moving to Wisconsin from Arizona is that there are NO lizards here...that I have seen. )
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:33 PM   #8

Love your lizard shots. 4 different but equally good views.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:37 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments!

Lizards are a challenge so it's fun taking the pictures. I'm going to try with the flash next time I have a chance then maybe I can get some detail in the eyes.

Beth - Here's some info on the four species of lizards in Wisconsin. The Western Slender Glass Lizard would be a cool subject to photograph, if you can find one, too bad they are endangered. http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/herps/lizards/
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:40 AM   #10

Nice shots and I agree that is the strangest fly I have ever seen. The others are right, the bird is a house sparrow.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote