Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:25 AM   #1

Now I know I have copped them differently and they don't cover exactly the same area. However it was the differences made by the light that I really note here. These were taken a day apart. The first on a cloudy midday, the second late on a sunny day.

I find the detail and clarity of the shot on the cloudy day is greater, but the drama of the light and shade on the sunny day gives the second greatr dynamism. Interesting. Well it was o me anyway.

Oh by the way, that is a security guard coming to tell me very politely that if I don't get out of the doorway I may get knocked down if one of the state parliamentarians (politicians) comes out of the doorway behind me, as the door opens outwards. Yes this is State Parliament (legislature). Ah the innocence of a safe country!
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2

Light is so important in composing a shot, It can, as you have clearly shown, change the whole look of a photograph shot of the same subject. That's why I find it irritating that some photography reviewers who use the same scenery and subject matter in reviewing different cameras often shoot comparison photos at different times of the day, or different weather conditions resulting in very different results. This is not a true comparison. When comparing cameras the pictures should be taken at the same time of day and similar conditions to give equal results, otherwise why bother. Thanks for posting these pics and sorry for the rant.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:03 AM   #3

Very nice. Thank you for showing some of us novices what a differance lighting can make. It's not often that you get to see a true comparison of the same location.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:51 AM   #4

Great comparison Rafael. I agree with you that the detail in the first picture (cloudy day), is muchbetter. As far as the sunny day picture, I find the highlights and shadows too strong,minimizing the details. I wonder how its going to look if the picture was taken much later in the afternoon just before dusk where the sunlight was going to be diffused.

Thanks for posting.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:42 PM   #5

Neat comparisons!!! Amazing how the same setting can look so different!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:46 PM   #6

I have noticed that with birds often. Very bright light is nice for the faster shutter speeds, but not for detail unless the light is exactly the same all over the side I am shooting. And the background. Which just never happens it seems.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:14 PM   #7

Thanks all. Glad you were interested in this as well. I have have had to learn that cloudy days are actually pretty good for taking photos, they just have a different quality to bright sunny ones.

Emmanuel, I will keep my eye out for an opportunity to shhot this on a sunny evening. Not sure it will work because we may get other building shadows, but if I get a chance I will shoot and repost.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote