Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:07 PM   #1

Here's a few shots of the labyrinth spider that is living behind our storage shed. I love the markings on it's abdomen.

vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:29 AM   #2

Super sharp shots there Vaiboy. Looks like a different lighting technique to your usual in the last 2 shots?

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:53 AM   #3

Thanks for commenting Mark!

The lighting was different than my usual. I went out with the intention of finding lizards but all I found was the spider. I was using the teleconvertor withthe 3 diopter lens from the DCR5320 andI had the Sunpak 383 on a standard flash bracket. I'm really glad I was using that setup because I could never get close enough without disturbing the web with my usual lenses. Most of the difference in these shots was the angle. The first two were shot with the camera pointing downwith the ground in the background, the first shot was at 1/640 sec. and the second was 1/320 sec., which gives the first shot the darker background. The third and fourth shots the camera was aimed at the back of the storage shed, which is painted white. The third shot was at 1/320 sec. the background looked a little too white for my tasteso the fourth shot was at 1/1000 and the flash output increased.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:08 AM   #4

Thanks for the info vaiboy. I think the subject suits the flat lighting effect in shots 3 and 4, although 1 and 2 are very nice shots too. When shooting long legged species I often prefer the flat lighting effect my ring flash gives.....it`s easy for the image to become confusing due to shadows from the spider`s legs etc....the ring flash avoids that.
I take it youre using manual mode to attain such high shutter speeds whilst retaining good DoF? How do you manage to get good focus doing it that way?....as when i`ve tried manual mode and faster speeds to get a certain effect on my fz20, the screen is so dark focussing is impossible....the only way it`s possible on my camera would be to focus in A mode then switch to manual to take the shot....obviously a problem with macros due to minute camera movements knocking the image out of focus accidentally whilst switching modes...

Mark
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:16 AM   #5

Very nice macros....what I would like to learn to do next!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:25 PM   #6

Annie - Macros are fun plus you don't have to go very far to find interesting subjects. If it weren't for this forum and guys like seemolf and tchuanye I'd probably just be taking pictures of cars at car shows.

Mark - I shoot in manual modeand useauto focus. My hands aren't steady enough for manual focus. When I'm using a fast shutter speedI get the subect in focus in the LCD then press the shutter button half way. Just before the screen goes black I can tell if the focus is close to what I want. I delete alot of blurry pictures but I probably wouldn't get any shots using manual focus.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:38 PM   #7

I see what you mean. My hands aren`t the steadiest either. I tend to either use the tripod on 2 legs like a monopod to get the camera steady, or when shooting ground subjects either rest the camera, or my forearms on the ground for stability. I tried using spot autofocus when i first got the 150 lens but found it very inconsistent...it often focussed on the wrong spot, or knocked the whole image out of focus.
It obviously works well for you though, can`t fault the sharpness and DoF in your images. I think regardless of what method we use, lots of binned blurry shots are inevitable.

Mark