Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:36 PM   #1

No claims that these are great pictures, but I was amazed that three times today, 3 different birds took off and managed to do it while a picture was being taken instead of between frames or bursts.

A few credits first. I never used ISO 200 much but after seeing Mark's birds I thought it worth a try. And it was. And to Hiroshi for teaching me about those dodge and burn tools. I used one of them on that last shot.

1. This flicker was eating ants and a bit closer then usual so I tried to get some nice shots. Tele converter shot. ISO100

2. This is a wire over the yard. I was listening to this guy sing, and when I looked at him through the lens at full zoom he was filled with chromatic aberration, so I thojught maybe if I took his picture I would get a purple bird for variety. Instead I got this. ISO 200

3. He moved while I tried to snap off a shot. Had he not been moving he probably still would have been a bit out of focus since all the rest were. But, since he did move, I will blame it on him. Tele converter shot. ISO 200.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:23 PM   #2

3 in one day?....Well, consider yourself one lucky guy....they are not sharp but certainly do translate motion quite well...I especially like #2.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:43 PM   #3

as usual peasant you take great bird shots......sometimes the shots dont have to be that sharp to be interesting...i think these tell a different story......one of graceful motion........pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:57 PM   #4

happy_peasant.May I suggest,I have noticed while taking the picture of flying bird we need to have a high shutter speed.This could be achieved either by increaseing the ISO or if the sun is high above you.Now if I do increase the ISO, noise is very much visible.This is the point where I want to make a suggestion. Change the colour effect mode to B& W .Noise become grainy which give a much better effect in B&W mode than the "noise in colour mode".What I wish to make a point here is to convert the disadvantage to our advantage.But This is just "a suggestion".I know very well how much it is difficult to take the picture of fly bird that too which is "very tiny physically" and unpredictable flight path. So far I am a failure ,but I am still trying
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:37 AM   #5

Fun shots Happy, for me to look at and you to take.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:23 AM   #6

I`d have been pleased with these Happy.......bird flight shots are a MAJOR stumbling block with me. I like shot 3, even out of focus the bold markings show up well in the shot.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:38 AM   #7

Thanks for looking and commenting Hiroshi, Ted, Mark and Pete. And mcliu, none of these were flight shot on purpose. It was sort of a grey day. There will be days when the sun shines and I make concerted attempts to catch them in flight. Of course, when that happens I will probably get a lot of very sharp shots of just the back end of the bird. I do that often. I may try a black and white day at a high ISO to wee what happens though. It is so gloomy today I probably would not miss much if I had no color.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote