Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:57 PM   #1

Here are two photos of red flowers. A I've stated in a previous post that I've had problems with reds out of my FZ20. A couple of ways I reduce red burnout is to stop down the camera and in PP, reduce saturation and augment the blue in the picture. After this procedure, I can kick up the contrast without getting a red blob as a result:X.

Perhaps you would like to share with the rest of us some of your tricks to control flared and over saturated reds?

Hiroshi

Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:58 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:31 PM   #3

Interesting. I was not aware of this issue. Is this common with the FZ range ? I recently was shooting around the cathedral and tried to shoot a red rose against the grey bluestone cathedral and completely blew the shot, with completely blown reds. Whilst I accept I probably blew it through lack of skill, I was quite amazed by how overblown the rose actually was.

I must revisit with this in mind.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:37 PM   #4

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Interesting. I was not aware of this issue. Is this common with the FZ range ? I recently was shooting around the cathedral and tried to shoot a red rose against the grey bluestone cathedral and completely blew the shot, with completely blown reds. Whilst I accept I probably blew it through lack of skill, I was quite amazed by how overblown the rose actually was.

I must revisit with this in mind.
CONGRATULATIONS! You are now an official member of the "PANASONIC BLOWN REDS CLUB":lol:

Hiroshi

Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:53 PM   #5

I think I have mentioned in a post with a cardinal bird that I thought my camera made reds a bit runny. If not I meant too. I don't have a standard technique for post processing fixing though. I have noticed that bright shooting conditions around as well as on the subject tame the red blow out a bit.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:59 PM   #6

I find that overcast days do quite well for controlling reds and bringing out the details on whites. But hen when I go to add contrast the flaring starts to show its ugly head, so it's a exercise in small increments of de-saturation & add contrast.

Hiroshi
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:40 PM   #7

I have no tricks other then shoot and hope and then curse. I don't think the problems with reds is only a Panasonic problem, it is just a hard color to shoot and get detail without getting the red blob.
I agree with Hiroshi that an overcast day or shade helps. I guess I do have one trick, I sometimes shade a flower with my body to take the shot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:57 PM   #8

tcook wrote:
Quote:
I have no tricks other then shoot and hope and then curse. I don't think the problems with reds is only a Panasonic problem, it is just a hard color to shoot and get detail without getting the red blob.
I agree with Hiroshi that an overcast day or shade helps. I guess I do have one trick, I sometimes shade a flower with my body to take the shot.
Ted, I agree with you that this problem is not exclusive to Panasonic, but rather due to small sensors and the camera electronics having to interpret the image. DSLR's with their larger sensors have a lesser problem with this and from what I've seen the Sigma cameras with the Fovion sensor have virtually eliminated this problem.

Hiroshi

Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:02 PM   #9

Well, whatever you did to make those shots work, it worked!!! Those are SUPER flower shots and I love both of them.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote