Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:07 PM   #1

I think that glistening and engaging eye is a a good part of most good bird shots. So, I took a few pictures of this Hermit Thrush today, and thought it very weird that he had no sparkle in his eye. Then looked further on the card. Thankfully, he was in a different position so I got a shot of his other side for comparison.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2

Nice shots Happy, I like the little glint in the eye too. I have to admit that you had me for a while because I had never heard of a flat-eyed thrush.:-)
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:17 PM   #3

Aren't the flat-eyed thrushes the ones you peel off highways? Sorry.

Nice shots Happy.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:27 PM   #4

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Aren't the flat-eyed thrushes the ones you peel off highways? Sorry.

Nice shots Happy.
Actually, around here they peel them off the sides of tall buildings or the sidewalks around them.

Thanks for commenting, and thanks also Ted.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:24 AM   #5

Nice shots there Happy. Isn`t it strange how a tiny detail such as a catchlight in the eye of the bird can affect how we view a pic so much....bird shots just dont look "right" when there isn`t one.Have you tried adding one to pic 1? May be worth a try.....

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:11 PM   #6

Steve - Both are really nice shots, but #1 is so wonderfully composed. It's a shame that the eye was flat, soooooo.....I'll share a little trick with you to add the little sparkle that's missing in the eye.....yup, it's that magical dodge and burn tool again. Choose a very small dot size to burn with, adjust your burn to about 30 or so, pick the spot you want to burn on the eye and click repeated times until you get the intensity you want and presto...the glisten in the eye appears. Yes it's nice to play God once in a while. I've attached the burned photo to illustrate the results.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:23 PM   #7

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
Steve - Both are really nice shots, but #1 is so wonderfully composed. It's a shame that the eye was flat, soooooo.....I'll share a little trick with you to add the little sparkle that's missing in the eye.....yup, it's that magical dodge and burn tool again. Choose a very small dot size to burn with, adjust your burn to about 30 or so, pick the spot you want to burn on the eye and click repeated times until you get the intensity you want and presto...the glisten in the eye appears. Yes it's nice to play God once in a while. I've attached the burned photo to illustrate the results.

Hiroshi
Wow! That is rather amazing. I was working up to cutting the glisten out of one photo to put in that flat eye, but this seems to have done the trick. I will give it a go. Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 3:52 PM   #8

What a nice shot (1st one) and how neat you can use that trick to add glisten to it...it really saves the image...
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 3:56 PM   #9

Nice shots and trying to shoot small birds will be a new experience for me!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:59 PM   #10

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots and trying to shoot small birds will be a new experience for me!!!
Every now and then, (but not too often) the small ones not only hold still, but do it in a good place for pictures. I probably have a hundred thrush pictures I will throw out now that I got these. And Phoebes, I keep taking pictures of them but it is so hard to get a nice shot.