Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:53 PM   #1

This hawk was enjoying the early morning sun in the cemetery this morning. The first shot is 4 MP, which seems to work better then 6 MP for long shots sometimes with my tele converter. The second shot is 6 MP. There were geese in the pond stirring up the water a bit. Darn geese.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:04 PM   #2

WOW, that first shot is awesome!!! As a beginner, why does the 4 megapixel turn out better than the 6 megapixel when using your teleconverter?
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:15 PM   #3

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
WOW, that first shot is awesome!!! As a beginner, why does the 4 megapixel turn out better than the 6 megapixel when using your teleconverter?
I could not really say why, only that it seems to work. On the other hand, if you go way back to February when I posted Peregrine shots taken at full zoom but with no tele converter, the ones you saw were all 6 MP. I took shots at 4 and 3 MP to get extended zoom at that time, and threw them all away as not near as good.

I would think the 4 MP shots would be less sharp as the magnification is greater and shake would be more pronounced. Because I am chasing birds I don't usually use my mini tripod, but I did use it a week ago and took a ton of cormorant shots. I will have to go through them and see if I varied MP then and how they compare with a tripod.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:27 PM   #4

Birds of prey are something i`ve never been able to shoot up to now. That first pic is great, nice pose from the bird too. I`d have been well pleased with both of these.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:09 PM   #5

hey peasant....they say to focus on the eyes when taking bird and animal shots....and it seems you snapped and got a really nice expression in the eye of the bird.......cant understand why the the 4mp is better than the 6mp shot......how far away were you when you snapped this......eagles are hard to shoot esp in the wild........dude where do you find all these birds........what kinda bird radar are you using......well done.....pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:04 PM   #6

deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
hey peasant....they say to focus on the eyes when taking bird and animal shots....and it seems you snapped and got a really nice expression in the eye of the bird.......cant understand why the the 4mp is better than the 6mp shot......how far away were you when you snapped this......eagles are hard to shoot esp in the wild........dude where do you find all these birds........what kinda bird radar are you using......well done.....pete
Focus on the eyes eh? And how far away was I? Well, I had to start by taking a picture and then looking at what I took to even be sure it was a bird. So I guess I was a ways away. Of course, my mind and eye did not expect to find a hawk sitting where the ducks usually are. Hard to measure though. I was up high on a cemetery road well over the water level. I might try pacing some day. At the end though, not in the pond. So, as a side effect of being far away, no way could I focus on the eye.

As to finding all these birds, I live not to far from quite a few cemeteries, Lake Michigan, including a bird sanctuary section at Montrose Harbor, and the Chicago River and various forest preserves. That thrush I posted yesterday was in a little woodlot by a city park near my daughter's school. This hawk I found just driving through the cemetery on my way home. I wish I had gotten there sooner and caught it taking it's bath.

Thanks for looking and commenting, and thanks Mark and Annie.