Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 31, 2003, 9:22 PM   #21

Although the IS is apparently optimised for 1/125 second, if it still gives ANY benefit at say 1/500th, I reckon that benefit could be usefully employed on a handheld camera sporting a nearly 600mm equivalent lens (full zoom + 1.4x convertor).

From the post mentioned earlier it would seem that the boys at Panasonic have not identified any circumstance under which having IS switched off is desirable; except for the slight saving it may make on power. Of course it's possible they wouldn't want to admit to a failing in their design. Or there may be conditions they haven't anticipated.

BTW Norman, if you devise any tests involving shutter speeds in the region of 1/500th, don't bother suggesting them to any Brits at the moment. Getting 1/50th has been difficult enough here over the past few dark, stormy days :roll:
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 8:05 AM   #22

Default Maybe?

Wouldn't you know it.....today is our first dark and stormy day in weeks. Hope you didn't hex us? Yes I do have some plans for more photos, one is to try the macro setting. This what I have done with the Nikon 995 and scopes after learning about it on this site. It works very well.

More later.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 4:14 PM   #23

Just realised normc you might not be using a UV filter with your teleconvertor. If not here's a link that might convince you it's worth trying :

http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/filters.htm#uv

Sunshine is obligingly back here for weekend (and apparently week ahead). Looking forward to your "more later", Norman
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 6:19 PM   #24

Default Nice

That's a good article and I have not attempted a UV filter. Will try it out tomorrow as Im forced to go birding with my wife an her nutty birding group. One thing I am learning is that not all stepping rings are equal. I NOW have one that is much better that all the others. I hope it stays that way.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:48 PM   #25

I've been researching my options a little bit and though I was prepered to give up to 300$ for a 2 or a little more for a T Converter, I'll just buy TCON-17.

KENKO VC-200 HI 2x High-Res has 49mm mount, with 52/55mm adapter rings, price is around 100-140$ and it seems that pictures are blury and not good at all.

KENKO KNT-20 (or LD-20T in Europe) is around 100$ and is a 52/67mm lense. That 67 mm in front is good but I find it usable only for filters, because it's too big. The quality of photos is lower than TCON17 photos. Anyway maybe it's choice for someone, but it's nice to know that actual magnifiacation is around 1.85 at most.

Tiffen diameters are just too small.

Raynox DCR-1800 52 mm are discontinued, photos are bad and actual zoom is 1.7 (even stated by manufacturer)

Raynox DCR-1850PRO 52 mm seem as a very good converter, I read that the quality of photos is high. Unfortunately, they work only with cameras with zoom 6 or higher (stated by manufacturer)

That's what I've found (and are of reasonable quality).
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 4:22 PM   #26

Default OK

I have done almost nothing with my FZ1 as I loaned out the camera for about a month. It is back now and I have some more stuff to try out.....more later
Old Aug 27, 2003, 9:32 AM   #27

KENKO KNT-20 & TCON-17 ?!

I believe this could be a nice combo which would give about 3.2 zoom.

55-52 step-down
KNT-20
67-55 step-down
TCON-17

What do you think? Both lenses make very quality photos.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:48 PM   #28

Here's a picture taken by G2 (58 mm) with a similar combination. Only that there's B-300 instead of TCON-17 and I think G2 has 58 mm threads. At least that's what I've read in Steve's review.

Anyway I wanted to calculate real magnifications for some of the lenses and here's what I got.

TCON-17 = 1.65
B300 = 1.67
KNT-20 = 1.80
RAYNOX DCR-1850PRO 1.85 = 1.83
TIFFEN 2 = 1.9
SONY VCL-2052K 2.0x = 1.89
Old Aug 28, 2003, 5:32 PM   #29

Default ?? about Sony telephoto lenses

I just did a price search on the Sony VCL-1452H 1.4x Telephoto and also the Sony VCL-R2052 2X Telephoto mentioned in the first post... why is the 2x lens half the price of the 1.4x lens??

The 2x is actually affordable for me... would it be worth getting?

Thanks...

Joanne
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 9:30 PM   #30

Default Re: OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by normc
... as I loaned out the camera (FZ1) for about a month ...
You WHAT ?!!!

You... you... you *scoundrel* you !
E Pericoloso Sporgersi is offline   Reply With Quote