Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 25, 2003, 3:39 PM   #1

Default Sony Telephoto Len

I have posted some sample shots using thr Sony VCL-1452H 1.4x Telephoto and also the Sony VCL-R2052 2X Telephoto.

They are at: www.pbase.com/normc/FZ1

Landscapes are not always a good sample of what a lens will do, but a 24x zoom hand held also has some nice value. My initial problems with these lens was do to the steping rings.

Perhaps others might also have some ideas?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2003, 3:56 PM   #2

Incredible coincidence, I just wanted to ask about Sony VCL-R2052. Why is this so cheap comparing it to TCON 1.7? I like the huge range it provides with original 12
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:09 PM   #3

Thanks Norman. I thought maybe the stepping rings business had made you give up.

I assume you screw a step-down ring into the plastic adaptor then the convertor to that? Do you get a decent number of turns on the step-down ring? Maybe you've seen posts here about problems with the filter thread being set too far back in the plastic Panasonic adaptor to allow certain add on lenses to be attached at all or to give a decent number of turns on attaching a filter. leepfrawg in "Panasonic FZ1" thread and Dave Thomson in the "FZ-1 Filters" thread describe the technique of removing some plastic from the front of the adaptor to address this. In some cases people have been satisfied that attaching the lens attachment to a filter rather than trying to do it directly to the plastic gives sufficient security.

You name the Sony VCL-1452H and Sony VCL-R2052 as the convertors you used (to add now to commie's Sony VCL-ES20). Was the VCL-R2052 the one that was giving you problems with autofocussing? How did you overcome it?

It's difficult to make a judgement on the effect these convertors have on quality for your resized and compressed pictures. Certainly I see no vignetting and unsurprisingly a bit of chromatic aberration on the 24DOCK picture. Do you suspect that camera movement compromised your results a bit or did you manage to find a good support for the camera? Any chance you cold let us know how YOU feel about the results Norman?

Trdi, I expect the TCON-17 is so expensive because it is one serious big chunk of quality glass Whether its results justify the penalty of weight, size and cost over alternatives of course we're still discussing. Here's a link to a picture shot on the Panasonic DMC-FZ1/Olympus B300 combo (Panasonic at a bit less than full zoom) :
http://home.wanadoo.nl/fred.hermanie/fz1/photo_027.html
If you replace the photo_027.html with index_01.html in the link you'll get a nice thumbnail gallery (bit slow to load) of pictures shot on DMC-FZ1.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:16 PM   #4

Default WELL OK

I am still thinking that the 1.4 is maybe the best as it has a full range of zoom and "I think" is better in lower light. Mounting to the plastic has to be carfully done so I do not like swithing lenes on this camera all that much. With the 1.4 you could simply leave it attached.

What I am going to do next is try the aperature or portrait setting in an effort to maybe sharpen up? And also tone down the
satutation a bit.

I tried to almost give away both lens a few years ago and had no takers.

Thanks for your post.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 8:51 PM   #5

Default OK

All the photos that I posted at the FZI gallery were just as they came out of the camera. I did not do any editing nor did I zip them before the upload. I don't know what happens after they get to pbase? The focus problem I had with the 2x lens must have been in the mounting ring getting out of square or some such thing? At this point who cares? The new ring gives me plenty of turns and will not fall off.

These lenes have the advantage of being very light weight and short. I have a B-300 and would not even think of using it on this camera

I will be posting some affitional photos very soon and if the weather holds move to another site as well.

I have also modified the camera with a DigitiSlave flash that mounts nicely to a single strap and doubles as a handle.

I will be posting some photos of the same general area made with a Pro90 and B-300 not that it would be a "fair" comparision to the FZ! but to serve as sort of quaity target ? Might be a bad idea tho?
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:46 PM   #6

Default More

The step ring is first screwed to the lens and hand tighten...so that it is firm but not over torqued. This will help keep it round. Then I fasten the whole unit to the plastic adapter with a lighter touch. You do not want t ever get it all really overly tight as the two plastic parts will stick and become very hard to seperate. The objective is to have the step ring stay with the lens. If it does not do so alter your technique. I am going to apply a small amount of very fine oil to the plastic threads.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:33 PM   #7

Hello Norm,heres a link to some shots with the FZ1 that I took recently, the first shots are wide and zooms, followed by some indoor shots, some general snaps, a couple of closeups, then lastly some shots with a B300 attached, two birds and a moon shot....

http://www.mets4life.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fz1/
dave Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 3:42 AM   #8

Default YUP

Now I will have to eat hummble pie on the B-300, but I would still be concerned as to the attachment. Vey nice slide show.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 6:54 AM   #9

I'm new but. Isn't our camera 55mm on the threads and thus why the tcon-17 fits? But from looking at ebay the sony r2052 is 52mm. BTW those pics in the slideshow, i am assuming you used a uv filter outside to get those nice detailed pictures? I am currently waiting on mine from b&hphoto along with another 256 meg card Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to ask. Did you use standard for both indoor/outdoor pics or natural? Thanks again!
Tazman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 7:03 AM   #10

Not sure about the humble pie, Norman. I think you you were more than entitled to have your misgivings about the plastic holding such a big chunk of glass securely. Here's a link to a pic of the TCON-17 on an Olympus C700 to give some idea of what we mean :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5197226

Nice shots Dave of the old "green and pleasant land...with the unpredictable weather". Not surprised Norman appreciated; he seems partial to a bit of water

I see the pbase pictures are 800x600 at around 100k which is down on the maximum 1600x1200 750K that the DMC-FZ1 is capable of. Must be difficult to post pictures that give fair AB comparisons. Raw pictures are probably generally too big to be accepted. Then if you crop I suppose you need to make clear the extent of the crop and make sure your posted image has not been compromised by much jpeg compression.

Sports mode and natural colour are, apparently, good candidates to maximise sharpness and reduce colour saturation respectively, Norman. I mentioned earlier someone's claim that Sports mode tries to maximise the image stabilisation performance. Can't substantiate myself, I'm afraid, but maybe you guys using teleconvertors are in an ideal position to.

Thanks, as always, guys for providing this quality first-hand info.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote