Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:52 PM   #1

Hi There,

This is my first post, so be gentle with me!!!!!!

I was out in the garden this evening and the sky was still blue and the moon looked rather good, so I grabbed the camera ( my recently purchased FZ7). On a side note my prevous camera was an canon A70 which had served me well over the years until this christmas where during a tantrum my one & a half year old daughter grabbed the camera as i was sitting her on the kitchen worktop and she smashed it on the floor. What can you do. At least it enabled me to but the FZ7.

Anyway back to the shot. It was taken hand held with exposure reduced by a full 2 stops, 3MP and using the full extended zoom @16.5X.

I took several shots but i think this one came out the best. All Idid afterwards was put it through a noise reduction programme, although i was surprised how noise free the original image was anyway. The size of the image is as it came out of the camera and has not been cropped.

All comments are appreciated.

I have to say that I am amazed at what this camera can do.

Thanks

Tacktrouble
Attached Images

Tacktrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:30 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum Tacktrouble.

Great first attempt with your new camera...especially hand held...there is enough detail in your shot where it could take a little more cropping. In situations like photographing the moon where every little detail counts,I would not bother with noise reduction. Since in your shot the sky looks blueish and judging from the looks of the craters, allI cansuggest to improve the shot a little is to increase the shadows (contrast) to the level where the background sky looksdarker which will help draw the eye to your primary subject, the moon.

To illustrate my point I've taken your reduced resolution (for posting) photo cropped it, sharpened it a little and increased the levels until the sky is black. You will get much better results with your original full resolution photo. There is a great deal you can do in post processing to improve pictures. I use it most of the times with good success....My encouragement to you is to experiment, experiment, experiment, after all that's half of the fun. Hope this has helped a little and I'm looking forward to many more of your posts.

Cheers, Hiroshi
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:40 PM   #3

Welcome. I am sure you will love your camera. Not much to add to Hiroshi's post.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback, as you suggested I messed about with a contrast and other settings and you can definitely improve the picture from its original state.

I look forward to putting some more shots on in the future.

Tacktrouble
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:55 PM   #5

Thats a nice shot for being handheld Tacktrouble, look forward to seeing more from you in the future

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:22 PM   #6

Welcome! Awsome detail. I love how you can practically "feel" how deep the crators are.

I wish my moons came out that good. All I ever get is a big white dot or a very dark picture with a not so bright big white dot.

Keep the photos coming.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:44 PM   #7

Nice moon pics m8 and keep coming back the guys here are friendly and will try and help you out lots too !!!

good first post !!

overkill the white dot remedy is just spot focus and metering !! .... i think )

Pants
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:47 PM   #8

(thanks PantsUK, I'll play around with it next time we have a nice moon out)
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:03 PM   #9

Thanks for your comments guys they are really appreciated. And because of them here are another couple of shots i got about a month ago during a lunar eclipse. I dont think these were as dramatic as the last nights shot, but it did present a different challenge.

These were taken during a lunar eclipse we had here in the uk where the moon slowly got eaten up and then went red. I had to use a tripod and quite a long exposure ( 1 or 2 seconds i think) as the light was very minimal. As you can see not as much detail, but still a different side to the lunar landscape.

The first shot was when only a qurter of the moon was left and the 2nd with a complete eclipse. It was trully a wonderous site.
Attached Images

Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:06 PM   #10

Heres the second shot of the complete eclipse.

Ill put some other non moon pictures up soon so let me know what you think and how i could improve

Tacktrouble
Attached Images