Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:19 AM   #1

Had a very productive day today....not only did a couple of new species turn up, but I also bettered (i think) the hoverfly shots I posted the other day.Once again the wind proved troublesome at times....I missed a few good opportunities due to the wind blowing the subject around, which then decided to fly off before I could get decent shots

#1....another species of Fly showed up. This shot was pure unadulterated luck.....the fly was being blown all over the place, and it was a case of randomly shooting when i expected the fly to come into focus......I was amazed a couple of shots came out ok...I like the colour of the fly against the green background on this....had to use NeatImage though to get rid of some background noise...
Attached Images

Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:20 AM   #2

and another new species of fly.....think this one is a Cluster Fly.....attractive black and white pattern on this one....
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:22 AM   #3

The Zebra Spiders were out in force today with the intermittent warm sunshine, hunting along the garden fence....managed to capture this one with it`s recently caught meal...
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:23 AM   #4

This was a case of persistence paying off.....every time I approached this Hoverfly as it landed on it`s regular perch, it would fly away immediately......eventually though, it sat still long enough to get a few shots.....really happy with this shot and the next one....
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:24 AM   #5

Last one......the previous shot was cropped a bit....this one is just resized....all the shots were taken with the flash bounce/diffuser I posted the other day....really pleased with the improved lighting it achieves....
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:09 AM   #6

Late entry.....just shot this one a short while ago(Yellow Dung Fly, uncropped, just resized), thought i`d include it to add to the variety of colours of the pics i`ve posted today.....no more I promise!!

Mark
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:47 PM   #7

Nice shots. Interesting how the flies appear to have little radar units sticking out of their foreheads.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:26 PM   #8

Thanks Steve. I always thought they were wing-mirrors so the flies could see threats approaching from behind :G amazing how complicated their bodies are though when you get a close look at them....

Mark
Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:12 PM   #9

I can see why you were happy with 4&5, terrifically detailed . Of course with such a high tech lighting set up you would expect these results :G

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:19 PM   #10

Nice text book macros!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote