Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 26, 2007, 7:46 AM   #1

I got up pre-dawn this morning with a plan to go to the top of Mt Dandenong and shoot the urban sprawl beneath me all the 40 odd kilometres to the city, starting with some shots in the dark showing the city lights and then showing the morning light inching its way west. Very excited. Not much traffic and I got to the top of Mt Dandenong in plenty of time. Unfortunately the lookout was closed. It does not open till 10am. Tried a secondary outlook but I could not find a spot not covered by trees and did not fancy falling down a cliff in the dark, even though the wallabies seemed fine hopping about.

Best I could get

Can I describe my mood as "Not Happy". Anyway, back in the car for the journey back down, when I spotted another spot looking east.

The moral of the story.

" Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life... "

and don't assume : PLAN

cheers
Rafael (FZ30)
http://rafael.zenfolio.com/ (referral code on my page)

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:32 AM   #2

A great end to a beautiful and pleasant trip. "Attitude determines altitude". Great photos and I absolutely like the moral of the story.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:59 AM   #3

A very nice story and pictures. Even though your moral says don't assume: PLAN, it appears the unplanned views to the east made the trip. It often happens for me that the unplanned things replace the planned ones in the memories afterwards.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 1:42 PM   #4

I think theres another moral here....."never give up hope, good shots can turn up when least expected".

The 2nd and 3rd pics in particular are superb Rafael, although theyre all good shots. Nice work.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 2:45 PM   #5

Nice shots!!! I love all of them and don't really have a favourite!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:04 PM   #6

Yes those last three shots would certainly be mood changers. Glad you were able to find the spot for taking them and overall the experience inspired a quite nice poem.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:03 PM   #7

Thanks all....

First to clarify, it is not my little poem it is part of a ditty written by the crew from Monty Python for the very irreverent The Life of Brian film. In the film Brian's life shadows that of Jesus, in the typical silly anarchical way of Monty Python. As he is on the cross contemplating life Brian has the the bloke beside him starts on this song as a way of cheering him up. I suppose in my circle of acquantances this is just a cultural given, to know and laugh at the song.

Gerry, I agree about attitude, it is not the be-all-and-end-all but it helps.

Happy, I agree that the unplanned can be wonderful. But I just hate when for a 30 second search on the internet I could have known what I needed to know. But yes when things don't go to plan you need to make the most of things.

Mark, agree so therefore "keep the camera handy"

Thanks Annie.

Ted, I find natural beauty like this to be wonderful for the soul. Apart from taking 20 odd shots, I spent a very peaceful, contemplative hour or so, just enjoying being. It felt like I was the only person who was enjoying the greatest show there is. It was only towards the end of the hour that I began to hear traffic noises, so it was time to go.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:45 PM   #8

The early bird catches the best shots:G and that is true in this case. All these pictures are great, they have mood, feeling and are well composed. Great work.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:58 PM   #9

Thanks Hiroshi, appreciate your comments.