Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:17 PM   #1

This is what a White-throated Sparrow looks like holding still:

And this is what one looks like hurtling through the frame at 1/1000 second while I was taking a picture of the Towhee. Considering my aperture was f/3.3 he must have been pretty close to directly over the Towhee to not be a total blur.
As my daughter said; "That' interesting."

Click on either picture and look at the Rosehill set they belong to if you wish to see a few more cute birds, including a Hooded Warbler. All shots in rain or gloom so not as good as I wanted, but not bad. (Hooded Warbler is very cute.)
Steve

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:59 PM   #2

Both great shots Happy but the first is my favorite.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:29 PM   #3

Steve, two very nice shots. The sparrow in the second shot looks a lot like most of my shots, almost, but not quite.:G

I really enjoyed viewing your flicker series. All nice shots. Now all of these is in the City of Chicago? Never been there, but always thought of it as brick and concrete, since Madam O'leary's cow kicked over the lantern.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:28 PM   #4

Wow at 1/1000 it is still quite a blur. Wonder what speed you would need to freeze the little blighter. Like shot 1.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:51 PM   #5

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Wow at 1/1000 it is still quite a blur. Wonder what speed you would need to freeze the little blighter. Like shot 1.
If we have some sun while they are still around I will try and test. There are so many times lately that I am looking through the lens and see a blur of motion of something passing through it, so I am sure it will happen again.

Thanks for commenting, and thanks also Ted.

Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:05 PM   #6

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Steve, two very nice shots. The sparrow in the second shot looks a lot like most of my shots, almost, but not quite.:G

I really enjoyed viewing your flicker series. All nice shots. Now all of these is in the City of Chicago? Never been there, but always thought of it as brick and concrete, since Madam O'leary's cow kicked over the lantern.
I think a nickname for the city might be the City of Trees. Other then right downtown Chicago has trees all over the place. Even downtown there are little parks, and the lakefront is all park. And many city buildings have gardens with trees on the roofs to conserve energy. The cemetery where I took these pictures is 350 acres. it has 4 ponds, woods, trees all over the place, and flickers galore. This time of year flickers are passing through but there are quite a few that live here. I can't remember right off hand which ones I posted, but I have taken flicker pictures in several city parks, two cemeteries, a woodsy strip by the channel and in the field next to it, and may yet get one in the yard. Oh yeah, the local nature center where I took the Cooper's Hawk pictures also.

Downtown Chicago where the skyscrapers live is a couple of miles. The area of the city is 234 square miles.

Thanks for commenting, and glad you liked the flicker pictures. They are one of my favorites.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 4:00 AM   #7

Luck comes to the hard working more often ;-)

I liked the first pic, but the second one was very...uhm, enlightening. How one speed is quite perfect for the birds if they are relative static, and how damned fast they are when they are airborne. I did try to get a pick of a bird feeding its young ones in a nest below a roof, and getting in and out by a displaced shingle. I set exposure (?) to a thousendth, because of Tcon 17 and not too much light, but the only thing Igot was a blurry bombshell dropping down, 20 cm below the entrance.
The Bird was so fast, that when I pushed the button, the delay was enough to let it be done with a 20 cm's drop, and still waiting to open its wings...and being already so fast, that the pic was blurred. Oh well! One of those Days I might get a decent shot.

Thanks for the pic, especially the second one, it illustrates the speed those birds tend to develop.

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:38 AM   #8

Thanks for your bird picture tale RealMash. I found it interesting that the notification email telling me you had made a response came to me in German. That has never happened before.
Steve
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:08 PM   #9

#1 is a nice sharp shot....and #2 is a terrific action shot. I wish it was sharper cause the composition of one bird standing and the other flying is great.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:20 PM   #10

The first shot has captured a lot of detail. The second shot conveys well the speed at which these little birds hurtle around. Nicely done Steve.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote