Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 7, 2007, 8:00 AM   #21

Annie

I did take the plunge from the pana fz5 to a pentax k10d last December, and to be honest I can't say that I'm sorry about it. I still have my pana and sometimes use it, it's just to good to give away for a small price.

The idea I had was that all fz camera's are so close together in quality that to make a real improvement I had to change to a dslr.

The dust problem isn't such a horror tale as some might tell you, I've been changing a lot my lenses and with just a blower and the dust removal system of the k10d I don't have any problems. (might have used the blower now 4 times)

For me the dslr market consists at this point of comparable camera's some might have a slightly better sensor than the others but this is just nitpicking.
The price, the way you feel about a camera,how it feels in your hands, the way the controls are located are the most important. At this point there are 2 great players there the canon and nikon's but I wouldn't limit my view to those only, even so it's the same in the dslr world as in the panasonic world anybody and everybody will defend his/hers choice.

In my case I went searching for a camera that had Shake Reduction build in. So the only players where (at that time) the Sony and Pentax. The Pentax had the best high iso quality so it was an easy choice. I first planned for the k100d but when I got a sponsor the K10d was there.

The lenses are another story, you can start of with a few cheep and then slowly add till you've got a wow collection, it's something you have to grow into.
There are also treasures on ebay. For example just got an oldie (32years old - vivitar 70-210 f3.5 for below 60€) and the results are stunning. (another plus for the pentax line is that all old lenses still work)

I can't tell you what dslr is good for you, wouldn't dare to do this and can only tell how I feel about it. Anyway you go it's another way of expanding your view on photography.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 12:16 PM   #22

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know. Trouble is I am in Canada and those deals just aren't available here!!!!
You should check how much customs duties would be on a $500.00 camera shipped from the states. I think the customs category is 9002110000. Add another $50.00US for shipping for your total. I could help a fellow forum member by buying the camera and shipping it to you. I sell photograph items on Ebay.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 3:06 AM   #23

Many thanks again for all your help. I just purchased a Nikon D40X on the weekend at a camera show that came with two lenses. Although I have purchased items on ebay and paid the duty and still come out ahead financially, I decided to purchase this one in Canada for warranty purposes. It just made it easier should something go wrong.

So, I am off on a new adventure with this camera and thanks to everybody who helped me with this.

annie

annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 3:09 AM   #24

congrats with your new camera. - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote