Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 29, 2007, 9:14 AM   #1

I am posting this here as I have had so much help in understanding my camera from those that are far more expert than I.

I currently have a Panasonic FZ30. I would love some input into whether I should wait and upgrade to a new Pany of this type when they come outas I read earlier that it was in July I believe or upgrade to a DSLR.I was not looking at theFZ50 from the reviews I have read. I was looking at a Canon as I cannot afford the Panasonic DSLR. I love my prosumer camera but was wondering if I would have more options with a DSLR.
I have noticed some people have upgraded and then regreted it due to having to change lenses all the time. I like nature photography, street photography and architecture like old barns and abandoned buildings.

Thanks in advance for any input!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2007, 9:31 AM   #2

Trouble with going to DSLR Annie, is the variety of lenses you`d need.....thats the expensive part, especially if you want good quality lenses.
From the variety of subjects you`ve mentioned you`d need wide angle, zoom,and macro lenses, perhaps more than one of each. Add to that the problems with sensor dust from changing lenses a lot and I think you`d end up regretting the shift over to DSLR personally.Obviously image quality would be a lot better, even with a cheaper DSLR, and better performance at higher ISO`s is a great benefit for a lot of shooting circumstances.
Only you can weigh up the pro`s and con`s really, it depends on whether you want the versatility of a bridge type camera or the higher image quality of a DSLR, albeit at a higher price for the kit you`d need, and the ensuing problems with dust etc.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3

I have noticed that the camera that I was looking at, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI (400D) and it comes with a self cleaning sensor that is supposed to eliminate that problem. There is a member of the photography club that I go to, and he talked about having to clean the sensor on his camera and I thought that I did not want to go through that!!!
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:32 AM   #4

I`ve read in quite a few places on the `net that a lot of the "dust" that gets on the sensor of DSLRs is actually minute metal fragments that naturally occur when changing lenses due to wearing of the lens fitting....so its unavoidable no matter how careful you are.....add to that actual dirt than can get in and it`s enough to put me off...
I noticed some of the new DSLRs have self cleaning sensors, but you have to ask the question "where does the dust off the sensor go after the cleaning system has moved it?"....is it just blown off the sensor into the body somewhere else???

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:47 AM   #5

I've been looking at the Olympus E510 dslr. It's got a self cleaning sensor and image stabilizer in the body instead of the lenses. It also has a live preview LCD so you can see the shot before you take it. I figure the camera body with the three lenses I would need would be about $3,000. Unfortunately I just can't see spending that much on a camera right now. If I upgrade to anything it will probably be the FZ50 replacement, this is still just a hobby and money doesn't grow on trees.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:56 PM   #6

Since you think sensor dust is a big deal ( it really is not)....I will let you read this about sensor cleaning systems and do they work or not.

http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

And after 1 year of changing lenses in all conditions rain ,snow, dusty roads, on tour busses ,and boats I have only had to clean my sensor about a dozen times and a blower did that every time but one, and that time something was stuck and I needed to use a brush.

This is only my opinion and I think most DSLRs are very good but at the present time I would not consider a 4/3s camera.....but thats only my opinion.

I may be wrong here but live preview is what the LCD screen on the FZ30 is and thats not a real feature, again only my opinion.

there were3 things that made me start using a DSLR

1. ability to take photos in the light thats available

2. almost no noise

3. And an optical viewfinder.

Thats only my opinion and I understand many do not agree.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:14 PM   #7

genece wrote:
Quote:
Since you think sensor dust is a big deal ( it really is not)....I will let you read this about sensor cleaning systems and do they work or not.

http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

And after 1 year of changing lenses in all conditions rain ,snow, dusty roads, on tour busses ,and boats I have only had to clean my sensor about a dozen times and a blower did that every time but one, and that time something was stuck and I needed to use a brush.

This is only my opinion and I think most DSLRs are very good but at the present time I would not consider a 4/3s camera.....but thats only my opinion.

I may be wrong here but live preview is what the LCD screen on the FZ30 is and thats not a real feature, again only my opinion.

there were3 things that made me start using a DSLR

1. ability to take photos in the light thats available

2. almost no noise

3. And an optical viewfinder.

Thats only my opinion and I understand many do not agree.
The E510 has an optical viewfinder, but the LCD acts like the LCD on a point and shoot. It's not just for reviewing the image after you click the shutter button. Optical viewfinders are great for action shots or landscapes, but the live preview LCD means the camera can bemoved away from your face. I've takenmany macro shots that there wasjust no way I would have been able to get my eye anywhere near the eyepiece. Personally, live preview is a must have feature for me. There's no single camera that will be perfect for everyone, it's about finding the camera that will fit best with what you need it to do.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 3:10 PM   #8

vaiboy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
The E510 has an optical viewfinder, but the LCD acts like the LCD on a point and shoot. It's not just for reviewing the image after you click the shutter button. Optical viewfinders are great for action shots or landscapes, but the live preview LCD means the camera can bemoved away from your face. I've takenmany macro shots that there wasjust no way I would have been able to get my eye anywhere near the eyepiece. Personally, live preview is a must have feature for me. There's no single camera that will be perfect for everyone, it's about finding the camera that will fit best with what you need it to do.
I do understand how it works... its is it worth anything to me ...it is not . I do not use the LCD on my FZ30 because it is neither easy to see ,nor again IMHO, is it live.

But I do understand many think that live preview is wonderful ,as many feel in camera editting has some value.....its up to what each of us want in our camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 5:56 PM   #9

Many thanks for all of the feedback. I am going to print it out and have a good look at it. I appreciate those that are far more experienced than I taking time to answer some questions!!!!!
Old Apr 29, 2007, 9:06 PM   #10

Annie57

Repeat these 2 Manras 100 times each night before you go to bed

1/ IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT

2/ THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote