Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:33 PM   #1

now that better weather is here, i've been busy at the local parks lately. needless to say, my poor old FZ20 would be hopelessly out of its league trying to get shots like these, so i left it at home for this little trip to a nature preserve about half a mile from the UW campus in Seattle.

the first is a kingfisher that dove in for a fish as i was prowling around the edge of a marsh. i missed his initial plunge, but got this a few seconds later. apparently, when he surfaced and took off, he dropped his prize, and had to flip around and dive back in to retrieve it. it's almost hard to tell what parts are where, but it's a safe bet the pointy bits are aimed at the wayward fish!

this shot is just a mallard that took off across the bay while i was nosing around. i heard the whirring of wings, and saw him out of the corner of my eye. i managed to get a couple of shots before he disappeared across the bay...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:54 PM   #2

Both fine. The kingfisher with beak spread is a shot I have not seen before, and the angle of the duck's wings is perfect.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:47 AM   #3

Both great shots......that Kingfisher shot would have been even better if it had been it`s first dive and the water surface was calm.....its an excellent shot as it is though.You`ve caught the Mallard perfectly there....superb sharpness.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:08 AM   #4

Isn't an optical viewfinder a great thing for shots like that?

And I imagine 5 fps is also cool.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:38 PM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
Isn't an optical viewfinder a great thing for shots like that?

And I imagine 5 fps is also cool.
optical view finder, 5fps, 400mm stabilized lens (640mm equivalent), FAST AF and <100mS lag time... yeah, it's wonderful! :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote