Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:48 AM   #1

hi all,

i was wondering if anyone has mastered any decent sports shot with the fz5. i have tried so many settings that my head is spinning by now. thank you in advance for any feedback.

wolf
coedfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:48 AM   #2

Are we talking about in good light? If so good shots should be very possible.....but if the light is poor thats another story.

There are some settings that I believe lend themselves to nice photos with the FZ cameras no matter the subject. But this is my opinion and you may dissagree. I have a FZ20 and a FZ30 so some of the settings may be termed differently on the FZ5.

Set the camera on Program mode

Set the ISO/sensitivity on Auto

Turn off CAF

Use IS mode 2

set the camerera to CW metering

and to 1 area focus

Try taking some photos and see if those settings work for you, its possible they will not. They do work for my wife and I, but perhaps not for you.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:28 PM   #3

light conditions were quite good. i include a couple of samples this time. i do konw that one of the settings was the multishot (4) mode. dont recall if these were taken in P or sportsmode.

i seem to capture the action ok, just find the photoshave too much noise. i have been shooting digitally since 1997, so i did not just start out. yet i find myself troubled with this particular task, especially when compring my shots to others

thank for any additional advise that might br out there.

wolf
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:30 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:45 PM   #5

I think those photos are fine but perhaps at original size noise may be a problem especially with the 2nd one, it was shot at ISO 400 ....F8....and 1/1000 sec.

Which is why I believe in setting some preferences in the camera settings and then learning to shoot with them.

I started with digital in 2000 and I really believe cameras are much better in IQ than they were then. In fact digital is what got me started back into photos... the AF and metering was so much better than what I had used in prior years and it has improved steadily over the last few years.

But if noise is a big concern to you perhaps the Panasonic cameras are not for you....they certainly are not noise free.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 4:15 AM   #6

For useable sport photos you need to zoom in on the subjects, so your dof is shallow. But due to the movement of the subjects you must have a big dof otherwise your photos will not be focussed properly. This implies that you mustuse the smallest possible aperture.Also due to the movementsyou need a high shutter speed.

All this means: 1/1000 or faster with f8. There is no way around using a higher ISO, and the only possibility for improvement is to denoise the photos with an additional denoising program.

http://johanbrouwer.fotopic.net
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote