Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:56 PM   #1

I'm really having trouble getting any depth of field with my FZ7. Has anyone got sure fire tips to help me? Much appreciated. :-)
lazylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:30 PM   #2

Not a lot of information in your post but that makes a simple answer easy: set the dial to A for "Aperture priority" and set the F-stop as high as possible -- 8.0 if there is enough light. The higher the number the smaller the opening and the greater the depth of field.
dpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:44 PM   #3

I'll second that. Not a whole lot of info to work with. If light permits it, I usually keep my aperture at 5 or 5.6 as a general setting and that works pretty well.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 8:22 AM   #4

Are you wanting more DOF or are you looking for the Bokeh look where the background is blurry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

If so perhaps we can help.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 6:50 PM   #5

Why dont you just use the built in scene mode (see pg 60 of the manual)?

When you set the mode dial to Scene & select Scenery then that will be the default option that comes up as selection everytime the mode dial is rotated to Scene. This then is almost tantamount to having a scene select button option (ie, one button action).

So then as you are taking photos in, say, auto mode & then you want to snap a large DOP (ie, scenery PIX) then just whip the mode dial to scene & press menu/set & take your scenery PIX [you should see the little standard mountain icon in the viewfinder indicating that the camera is setup for scenery]. Dont forget to rotate the mode dial back to auto when you are done shooting scenery.

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:55 PM   #6

genece, thats exactly what I want to achieve. When I use the 'portrait' setting on the FZ7 I get no backgroung blurring at all. I've tried with the highest apeture setting but without any success. I know I'm being really thick but can you help? :?
Old May 2, 2007, 6:38 PM   #7

lazylad,

one of the features of any small sensor camera (ie the non DSLR) is that they have a fairly huge depth of field. As I understand it this is due to the physics of the matter. Becuae of the smaller sensor they use different lenses for the same field of view. So the lens on my FZ30 whilst it claims to be 35mm to 420mm is in fact a 7.4-88mm lens. The 35-420 is the 35mm equivalent focal lenght so that you can compare with an 35 mm SLR. So mostly you therefore have an extreme wide angled lens and therefore a huge DOF.

To get a bit of nice blurred background is therefore rather more difficult than with SLR size lenses. Essentially you can achieve it by using the long end of the zoom and having plenty of separation between subject and background, you can also get it in macro mode. Here is an example of the former method.

Shot at 420mm, f3.7 and a significant distance between the bird and the background (10-20 yards)

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 5:45 PM   #8

Rafinmelb,

I've read *very* technical articles on this matter, and quite honestly didn't understand what they were all saying, but you got it clear in just 2 sentences

SC
suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 8:55 PM   #9

Lazylad,
For blurring background:
- Open max aperture as you can: 2.0-3.5
- Full zoom is posible:300-420
- Distance from subject to background as far as posible

Sorry for my bad english and hope this help
Basac
Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 5:19 AM   #10

Thanks for all your help. I will take all your advice and start practising. I will post some examples for your comments. Thanks once again.

PS Rafinmelb - Great pic.