Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 2, 2007, 2:30 PM   #1

1. Killdeer. Actually not too uncommon. What is uncommon is to get a good shot of one as they are quite flighty.

2. Male Gadwall. Uncommon duck. Something about the pattern of the feathers makes him look like he is filled with noise, but that is the way he is.

3. Snipe. He should be in the marsh but he was hiding in the plantain instead. And not too well, although when he scrunched down he was very hard to see.

4. Sora Rail as usually seen. If at all. If you are lucky.

5. Sora that decided to give me a few once in a lifetime shots. And it had a friend, and that one did also. Lucky day.

6. In my own backyard, a Rose-breasted Grosbeak. First time ever.

[img]%5Bimg%5Dfile:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2007, 4:08 PM   #2

Looks like a very productive day Steve. Nice shots all round. Our Water Rails, a relative of the Sora, are just as elusive, although i`ve seen quite a few now i`ve had no chance of getting a shot, theyre so fast when moving between cover.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:54 PM   #3

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
Looks like a very productive day Steve. Nice shots all round. Our Water Rails, a relative of the Sora, are just as elusive, although i`ve seen quite a few now i`ve had no chance of getting a shot, theyre so fast when moving between cover.

Mark
Thanks for commenting Mark. The rails are in a very small pond. With a limited amount of cattails. And vast open areas in that limited area because the geese have beaten them down for nests.
Old May 2, 2007, 5:04 PM   #4

Quite the opposite of where I`ve seen ours.......vast areas of dense reedbeds with only small areas which can be viewed.....usually the only views we get are a head or tail sticking out of the reeds, or one running across a gap at full speed.Gorgeous birds though, always a pleasure to just see them

Mark
Old May 2, 2007, 5:11 PM   #5

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
Quite the opposite of where I`ve seen ours.......vast areas of dense reedbeds with only small areas which can be viewed.....usually the only views we get are a head or tail sticking out of the reeds, or one running across a gap at full speed.Gorgeous birds though, always a pleasure to just see them

Mark
Here is an example of the beaten down cattails.

Old May 2, 2007, 5:15 PM   #6

See what you mean....thats a nice shot too Steve, excellent sharpness

Mark
Old May 2, 2007, 5:45 PM   #7

Nice series with lots of variety. And you left the cute gosling shot for last.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 10:34 PM   #8

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Nice series with lots of variety. And you left the cute gosling shot for last.
Actually, that one was not meant to be here and was only used for illustrative purposes. I took it for my daughter. Yesterday when we were there those babies were still eggs. In fact, they were still hatching when the picture was taken. I have a couple other cute gosling pictures meant for a future post. The one you see here in fact, is unedited. Nothing like an easy unzoomed shot to make a picture look good with no work.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
Old May 3, 2007, 10:21 AM   #9

Very nice captures Steve. Never seen a "Killdeer and Sora" before. Good work.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 9:37 PM   #10

Great shots.The Killdeer is exceptional for me, as we rarely see them in grass, but along side roadside ditches with a lot of small gravel or shell. They really like shell and build their nests in the shell and can be very inconspicious. I don't remember ever seeing a snipe or Sora here. I have once had the Rose Breasted Grosbeck, taken with a different camera.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote