Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 11, 2007, 1:33 PM   #1

Yesterday this lovely Black Maple was filled with warblers. Today this hawk flew up into it after a squirrel. Said squirrel kept trunk between he and hawk, then ran down and behind me. Hawk did not want to quit. First two shots tele converter, no crop, taken through far side car window and trying not to fall on seat and break camera. Next two shots no converter, very little zoom, and cropped.

1. "Is this my best side?"

2. "Or maybe this side is?"

3. Full body shot.
[img]%5Bimg%5Dfile:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]

4. End of story.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2007, 1:41 PM   #2

Found this shot after posting above. Not quite as sharp as I would like. Oh well.

Old May 11, 2007, 5:08 PM   #3

All very nice shots Steve. In the 3rd and 4th the bird is just about glowing with the lighting.....superb.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 6:03 PM   #4

Nice shots. I think I like #2 best, the glint in the eye is what does it.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 7:23 PM   #5

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
All very nice shots Steve. In the 3rd and 4th the bird is just about glowing with the lighting.....superb.

Mark
Thanks for looking and commenting Mark and Rafael. Those third and fourth shots were easier to brighten with Elements as the bird was totally in the shade so I could work on the whole picture. The others had light hitting the head. I am partial to number 2 myself. Although, I still have a bunch to play with sometime and I may come up with a new favorite. I have half a gigabyte of other birds I need to look at though. Had a long wait for the daughter and the warblers and flycatchers where everywhere by the river walk.
Old May 11, 2007, 8:04 PM   #6

Steve, you sure are luck with all the birds you see and get to capture, Very well done on these. My favorite is #4, with the hawk just taking off, good timing.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 8:59 PM   #7

tcook wrote:
Quote:
Steve, you sure are luck with all the birds you see and get to capture, Very well done on these. My favorite is #4, with the hawk just taking off, good timing.
Thanks for commenting. About that timing: Infinite Burst Mode, and luck. Prior frame bird not moving, next frame is empty of bird. No big deal though because if the bird was in the next frame most of him would have been behind a branch.

This is the first decent take off of either a hawk or a heron in about 6 attempts. Some attempts a few hundred shots. I know it is digital and I can just erase them, but it is so hard to erase really good shots, even when there are hundreds of the same subject. I guess I am a picture packrat at heart.

Old May 11, 2007, 10:21 PM   #8

Those are all terrific shots! I really like #2 the lighting is great.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 9:19 PM   #9

Hi! Very nice photos, my grandson says. He likes animals and birds. His words, "That's cool".
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 9:29 PM   #10

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Hi! Very nice photos, my grandson says. He likes animals and birds. His words, "That's cool".
If you read this and he is still over have him go to my flickr site and look at the two egret in flight pictures I just posted. I bet he would like them. The rest of you, wait as I will post them here some day. Or not. I have plenty more birds to work my way through and post sometime.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happy_peasant/495515329/