Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 14, 2007, 7:20 PM   #21

My conclusions thus far are as follows

The macro and wide angle lenses are worthy additions to the kit bag, how often they will get used I can't guess at the moment but as the macro and wide angle are essentially one unit carrying them around isn't a problem.

As far as the tele lens goes ..... so far so bad .....

I've tried manual focus and even tried editing the raw file but nothing seems to bring it into line. The filters that came with the kit will fit in between the lens and the conversion lens so might see if pushing it further away will help.... I'll keep you posted.

One other thing to note (I'm sure someone would have mentioned it) the FZ8 has an option to tell it your adding an add-on lens either wide or tele ... I took 3 pictures using this and 3 without for each picture above and then selected the one I thought was better. Frankly it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

one last picture using wide angle (RAW IMAGE PHOTOSHOPED AND CROPPED)
Attached Images

PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 7:51 PM   #22

Thanks for the review, nicely done. I came to the same conclusion about the telephoto lens photos you posted. I ordered some cheaper lens with my FZ30, and was so disappointed I returned them and did get a full refund. I then got my wide angle from Lovelife on the the forum. The telephoto I got after that was an Olympus TCON 1.7 reccommended here. They cost more but worth it.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 7:53 PM   #23

First off pants, thanks for this post. I'm looking to put away my film cameras and buy my first digicam in the near future, and I have been wondering about these lenses.
The wide angle seems to do an OK job though I don't think it goes as wide as the 0.45 markings suggest. See pic below.
The tele sucks but for me I wouldn't have much use for that anyway. I was able to control the fringing in photoshop but the focus is just too far gone.

Attached Images

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 9:20 PM   #24

The close-uplens is probably a +1 or +2 diopter single element lens worth about $10 (oftenincluded in a set of 3 lens for $20-30), but nevertheless a uselful tool for learning more about macro.

The wa lens is certainly not .45x. Probably.8x. Not too bad, although a little vignetting (dark corners) is seen.Value = $30.

The tele is junk.

The pocket sized flexible leg min-tripod goes for about $10 and is worth it. I've foundit quite useful for night shots.

The other stuff is easily worth another $10, which gets you to $60 and a good buy.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 9:56 PM   #25

I would love to see a side by side comparison of differant brands used on differant cameras.

Hey pants could we get you to take an interior or a close up of a building with the wide. I'd love to see how much distortion their is.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 3:11 AM   #26

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I will continue to update this post with other pictures ... in fact I may take some today. And yes I will be taking pictures of buildings etc etc ... and trying to see if I can get that telephoto lens to work.

With regards pricing "FMOORE" here in the UK we normally get ripped off so your pricing although I'm sure in the US is accurate here would normally be +50%

Thanks again,

Pants
Old May 15, 2007, 3:32 AM   #27

Interesting review Pants, and very good of you for taking the time to post it all

Shame about the teleconverter, but the other lenses seem perfectly usable so you havent really lost out in any way.Dont know if you got my private message a while back, but my tcon-17 is still for sale cheap if thats any use to you.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 5:31 AM   #28

Thanks Mark and A BIG FAT YES I want one of those ... couldn't read your PM though, thought it was just an error so let me know what your looking for if it's still up for sale - pslease read section on "Wedding""Poor" etc etc

Old May 15, 2007, 6:25 AM   #29

No worries Pants. If you can send pm`s ok, send me your email address and we`ll sort it out.

Mark
Old May 19, 2007, 9:15 AM   #30

Pants, did you get my email?

Mark