Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 18, 2007, 6:11 AM   #1

Much of Melbourne life occurs away from the major streets in the narrower laneways.

An impromptu meeting in Union Lane

A coffee at your favourite spot on The Causeway regardless of building works

Or a just a stroll through Bank Place, with maybe a brief stop for one beer at the Mitre

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2007, 7:33 AM   #2

Thats really interesting.....I would have not thought things would be so crowded.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:42 AM   #3

Nice captures Rafael. I really like the 1st one.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 6:14 PM   #4

Thanks Emmanuel and Gene. Got lucky with one. These were all shot as part of my first hour of familiarisation with my WA (Raynox HD6600), so to get a good one in that first hour was pleasing.

Gene, Melbourne can be quite surprising. It is a goldrush town (1890s) and much of its early growth was based on the money that poured into it then. Given that most of it was planned to cater for the large bullock trains that moved commerce around the place so the majority of streets are fairly wide and open, however the planners also put smaller street in the east-west direction between the larger streets so the sequence goes Flinders Street, Flinders Lane, Collins Street, Little Collins, Bourke Street, Little Bourke. Then in the North-South direction they have a number of even smaller laneways and alleys. The smaller stuff was for the people to move around in and avoid the dirt and muck of the bullock trains. This now forms the fabric of the town and there are lots of amller bars, coffee shops etc etc in those smaller byways.

So the combination is of

and

Old May 18, 2007, 9:42 PM   #5

Rafael, wonderful series again of your beautiful city. I just love it when you share the city with us as I live in a very small town.

As a footnote, and follow up,is it the cities that are croweded and the country. From my searches on Google, it would appear that the majority of Australia is still unpopulated and uninhabitable. Is that a proper observation?
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:36 PM   #6

Jerry, firstly thanks for your kind words. Like you I love seeing other parts of the world through this forum.

Yes your observations are fairly correct. Australia is probably similar in size to continental USA excluding Alaska yet has only 20M people (ie about the population of NY). The majority of those people are in the SE triangle of Melbourne(3.5M) Sydney(4M) Brisbane/GoldCoast(2M?) Large parts of Australia are arid and cannot support many people. So if you go to a map of OZ say at
http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA4073.jpg
We have essentially no flowing water between Broken Hill on the New South Wales/South Australia border north to Mount Isa then west to almost Broome on the west coast and then South to almost Esperance. That whole middle bit is essentially desert. That whole area probably contains fewer that 50,000 permanent residents (with Alice Springs in the middle having about half of that catering for tourists to Ayers Rock etc). You can see a number of Lakes (eg Lake Eyre in South Australia) in that middle section. These are essentially dry for 10-20 years and then fill when huge rains/floods come and life springs up for a year or two, before again dying back.
Old May 19, 2007, 3:49 PM   #7

Nice shots Rafael, love your perspective on the first shot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 5:52 PM   #8

Thanks Ted.....that shot does kinda have a threatening mood doesn't it.