Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 21, 2007, 10:31 AM   #1

Metering mode, AF Mode and Focus/AE Lock settings... I set these when I first received the camera. Now I am wondering if there is a best setting for each of them for most situations. When I first received it I just quick hit everything so I could start using it and now I want to tweak it to perform as well as it is capable. At this point though I feel like I am just playing with the buttons. Any advise or pointers you can share?

Thanks a bunch!
stacy0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 12:21 PM   #2

I am almost afraid to make a suggestion as My batting average is dropping quickly around here. But here goes

I have difficulty with pattern metering and most of my photos are of wildlife, so I favor CW metering, but if the FZ50 improved much over the FZ30 as far as pattern metering that may now be a better choice for your type of photos.

I also prefer to use AE lock over focus lock as I can use the button on the lens for focus lock.

And I kind of fell in love with 1 area HS focus.......mostly because I really dislike the 3 or 9 pt autofocus.

I also feel you are better off setting the NR and contrast to low......and you can vary sharpness and sat from med to high.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 10:04 PM   #3

Genece, your batting average is steller, don't worry about it!
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 6:34 AM   #4

Assuming the FZ50 is similar to the FZ30 I reckon gene is pretty well spot on. I don't think I have moved off 1 area HS for 4 months.

I would add that in diffcult contrasty situations I find myself using spot metering to get exactly what I want, but that is very dependent on what you shoot. If like gene you shoot wildlife then spot metering and then reframing just isn't going to get you the shot, if you shoot slower moving subjects like I do (buildings and such) then spot metering can help you get the detail in the area you really want it in.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 9:54 AM   #5

No need to worry about batting averages with me. I need advise and opinions in order to get better. And you can only get betterby experimenting. Thanks for the input guys!
stacy0w is offline   Reply With Quote