Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 22, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1

and boy is it a brute to get used to. Have a day at home doing some chores today, but I put the Tcon on the FZ30 and walked the dog around the local parks to see what I could see.

Well I saw lots of birds and the Tcon did not manage to get many of them....or do you reckon it was me that stuffed up the magpies, swifts, currajongs, butcher birds, king parrots, rainbow lorikeets, crested dove, magpie lark, and thrushes ? Yeah Ok it was me. I found it quite hard to keep steady with the extra weight and the extra zoom.

I did manage to get some Eastern Rosellas that are OK without being particularly sharp. Between the cloudy day and my lack of steadiness with the new beast there is a little camera shake/softness in all of them. Definitely not up to the standards on this forum.

But anyway it gets me closer to the action and practice will, I am sure, improve my technique.

Here are a couple just for the colour

--
cheers
Rafael (FZ30)
http://rafael.zenfolio.com/ (referral code on my page)
http://rafael.zenfolio.com/img/p43092892-2.jpg
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2

Very good, Raf. I really have trouble holding the TCON steady, as I already have am quite unsteady in the hands. (I would never have made it as a surgeon). To get a decent shot, I have to use the tripod and remote cable release.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 12:21 AM   #3

I don't feel inclined to download pictures to examine EXIF data but am curious about shutter speeds. I use an OLY C-180 which I imagine is less weight, but I still have to contend with the extra zoom. I can tell you that with much practice I am to the point where I can occasionally get a good picture at low shutter speeds. When I started they were all blurry. I brace myself and try and sit. I also have found out it is a total waste to take standing up pictures after morning coffee.

Those are rather fine looking birds, by the way. This morning I saw a blue parakeet with a flock of starlings. A few were chasing him and it was such a joy to watch him fly. I envy you some of your birds.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 12:35 AM   #4

Excelent shots! Seem sharp enough to me. I specially liked the last one.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 12:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the encouraging words all.

Steve, you are right I should have posted exif info:

#1 1/60s 3.6
#2 1/60s 3.7
#3 1/60 3.7
#4 1/100 3.7

I did not have much to brace against for many shots. These were the best of the bunch as the light was worse elsewhere so the shorter shutter speed meant blur.
Old May 23, 2007, 2:27 AM   #6

These are good initial shots Rafael. If handholding with the tcon attached, bracing yourself or the camera against a tree is best, although as you say that wasnt possible with these shots.Burst mode helps too as i`ve mentioned previously re shooting birds, as does upping the ISO a bit for faster shutter speeds.
A lightweight tripod like the manfrotto modo series isn`t a big deal to carry, but will give you more keepable pics in less than ideal light, so that may prove a good option too for your bird shooting forays.
For the shutter speeds you stated these shots have come out well though considering the magnifications involved.And they`ll improve plenty once you get the hang of the tcons extra weight i`m sure.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 2:51 AM   #7

Thanks Mark. All good advice and I will be sure to take it on board. I look forward to exploring teh possibilities of this lens.
Old May 23, 2007, 8:28 AM   #8

Those are excellent for those SS......you done good.......
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 11:00 AM   #9

Rafael,, you should be happy with the results of your pictures hand held at such slow speeds (1/60, 1/100 sec.).With the addition of the Tcon, hand held at anything less than 1/600 sec. is a gamble.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 12:49 PM   #10

Those are neat shots and were those birds wild? Hard to imagine seeing something as beautiful as that in the wild. I loved the photos.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote