Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 28, 2007, 7:03 AM   #1

Had a weekend on French Island, a very interesting place. Only 70Km from Melbourne but no mains electricity or water, no bridge and you cannot take your car over without special permission. The place is mostly national park with abundant birdlife.

The light on the way over was shining brightly on the water

...and seeing flocks of black swan swimming about in the bay got my juices going

Rode around all day on bikes, along corrugated roads, as the barge had broken down so they had not had the roads graded for 6 months. Managed a break at one of the old chicory kilns which also passed itself off as a tea room. No-one there, but the sign said help yourself so we did. Had to follow the instructions for the stove and made some tea and had some fruit cake, left some money and still hadn't seen anyone. The first shot is of the actual chicory workings, the second is the help-yourself kicthen with a plastic container with cake on the bench.

Well we saw plenty of birds, but none let us get any closer than the swans, so had to make do with this view of the mainland from our digs.

Back on the bikes the following morning and we did manage to get a bit closer to some little pied cormorants on the old pier.

and a pacific gull came flying reasonably close

Unfortunately that was it. We spotted some yellow tail black cockatoos, swamp harriers, wedge tail eagles, cape barren geese, and I could almost swear I saw an orange bellied parrot among others, but all seemed pretty shy. So we had to make do with a few sighting of koala.

French island is one of the last places where koala do not suffer from chlamydia, so they tend to overrun the island. They currently have a test going where they are implanting oestrogen in the back of the females necks to keep the population down. Was wondering if this one was post-operative

All bird shots with the Oly tcon
--
cheers
Rafael (FZ30)
http://rafael.zenfolio.com/ (referral code on my page)

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 7:27 AM   #2

Nice series. Love the effect on shot 5. Nice bird shots too, many people would have cropped the flying gull shot but i think it works really well with the spacious background.Great framing on the Pied Cormorant closeup too.Looks like youre getting the hang of the Tcon pretty quickly

Mark

Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 6:20 PM   #3

I really love 5 as well, I actually shot about 10 variants at the time. Yes I think I am beginning to get it a bit, changed my grip to get better balanced and to get a BIF with it is fairly pleasing.
Old May 28, 2007, 7:38 PM   #4

Nice series, Rafael.
I agree with you and Mark about #5 ... it has real atmosphere.
The bird in #7 definitely needs room to roam ... much better not cropped as Mark suggests.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5

Nice shots. The drug that koala looks to be on seems to be stronger then oestrogen. Pretty mellow looking animal.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:09 PM   #6

thanks Robin, yes I agree that the IF needs the room, also a big crop would have meant a very grainy shot.

Thanks Steve, ALL koalas are pretty mellow. They essentially spend most of their time in a drunken stupor, the alchohol in the gum(eucalypt) leaves they eat sees to that.
Old May 29, 2007, 6:05 AM   #7

The Tree does it for me; So much atmosphere and the tire add's something special to it Love the 'bar' shot above it as well, the all green tone fits good around the bottles.

For #1, it sometimes helps to screw on a polarizer; It helps to retain more colorand brightness in the underexposed area's

Cheerio! SC
suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 6:06 AM   #8

Nice shots and as I have said, luv seeing where other people live!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 6:19 AM   #9

Thanks SC. I did have a polarizer and I did do a similar shot with the polarizer, but I just loved the black and white feel of this, The polarizer shot was more like reality, but this one was more like how it felt. I do appreciate the suggestion though....so thanks, always love feedback.

Thanks Annie, yeah seeing other parts of the world on these forums is terrific.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:19 AM   #10

Looks like a very nice place to visit and take some great photos. All the shots are good but number 1 and 5 get my vote.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote