Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 2, 2007, 9:54 PM   #1

Comparisons are with both camera in "P" mode, settings at factory default except noise to 'Low' on the FZ8.

A new Kansas Quarter shot off hand, in Telemacro mode at 12x

The Fz5 first, then the FZ8. Both cropped to the same area.

A garden shot in 12x telemacro mode, cropped to the same spot on the flower. Not great shots, but you get an idea of the zoom-ability of the Fz8

THis palm was a mile away, shot at 12x at dusk

The noise difference from the Venus III is much more noticable in the all the shots. I wish I could get the FZ8 EVF and LCD with the clarity of the FZ5 and it's VenusII. Obviously, more pixels does not a better picture make.

I will play with the FZ8 in 5mp mode, and see how the shots compare to the Fz5. Should be interesting, as in 5mp mode you can get 14.4 optical zoom.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:52 PM   #2

More comparisons, in twilight conditions at full 12x zoom. The FZ8 was set to Sharpness=High and Saturation= High, Noise=Low

House 1/2 mile away

FZ5first, then FZ8

Bottle 20 feet away at 12x
FZ5 first

The worst for last. A windmill about 100 yards away
FZ5 first

Yuck! I will try some shots tomorrow with the Noise Reduction set to Medium and High and see if it helps the situation, but I am very disappointed with teh long-range ability of the Fz8 when it comes to cropping the shot.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:23 AM   #3

That is disappointing. I can't ever see getting another Panasonic with the Venus III. That's too bad they made that move.

Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:19 AM   #4

I bought my FZ7 not long before the FZ8 came out and am quite happy with it overall. But every now and then I wonder if I should have waited. Your post was helpful in making me more glad I did not. Thanks.

By the way, at least with the FZ7, every now and then I turn the noise reduction to low and always am disappointed. I find medium best. Maybe you will also.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 3:44 PM   #5

thanks!!

I will turn my FZ7, FZ8 avoidance to "high".

The better viewfinder, a flash connector and a remote control would have been enough, until there are sensors available that match the quality of the lenses.

Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:48 PM   #6

My problem with setting it on Med or High is that I take a lot of "quick shot" photograpy on my boat. I very rarely have time to go into the setup mode and fix the Picture Adjustment setting on a shot-by-shot basis. If you leave noise on Medium, then you get some smearing and loss of detail on shots that would have been Ok without much noise to start with. At any rate, I returned it to Amazon and will continue to be happy with my FZ5 until a better sensor comes out for this style of camera, or I decide to pop for a Sony A100, which is not in my budget at this point.

Ended up getting the E-510. Here is why