Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:54 PM   #1

It seems that birds get smart and stay in deep shade if it is too hot, but the dragonflies come out in droves. All these shots except the first one were taken today. First one a few weeks back in my yard. All taken using tele converter. I have found that I can get fairly close using tele macro setting with converter as long as I don't have camera set for converter.

1. Twelve-spotted Skimmer in the yard. I don't think I posted this before.

2. Twelve-spotted Skimmer in a field.

3. Another shot of a Twelve-spotted Skimmer in a field.

4. Epitheca regina. I need to find a common name for this one.

5. Some skimmer of as yet undetermined species.

6. Some kind of rather small dragonfly.

7. There was a log in the water that the dragonflies all flew around to lay eggs.

I hope you enjoy the dragonflies. I have a bunch of butterflies to do next time time permits.
Steve

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:24 PM   #2

Those are great! I've been using the tele-macro mode with a teleconvertor to shoot hummingbirds, so far it has worked well. I think shot #5 is a Widow, and #6 is a Low-flying Amber-wing. I really wish there were more of those around here.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3

wow that is a great picture,Very sharp and full of details.Background is nicely blurred,dragonflies has come out well.Nice shots
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:31 AM   #4

vaiboy wrote:
Quote:
Those are great! I've been using the tele-macro mode with a teleconvertor to shoot hummingbirds, so far it has worked well. I think shot #5 is a Widow, and #6 is a Low-flying Amber-wing. I really wish there were more of those around here.
Thanks for names vaiboy. I will go look them up. I had no idea there were so many dragonflies until I started to try and find names for these guys.

And thanks for commenting M.C. Glad you like the shot. It was a bonus.

Here is one more I need to look up. I also need to get a shot of this guy not sitting on asphalt so it is a nice shot which is why I didn't post him with the better shots above.

Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:48 AM   #5

Pretty nice. In particular without a macro lens. I reckon #4 & #5 are particularly sharp and detailed. Well done.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:10 AM   #6

All very nice angles Steve. I like the 2nd one out of them all, and despite the asphalt the last one looks very sharp.What distances did you shoot from with the tele macro?

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:28 AM   #7

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
All very nice angles Steve. I like the 2nd one out of them all, and despite the asphalt the last one looks very sharp.What distances did you shoot from with the tele macro?

Mark
Probably shot these from between 8 to 12 feet. I can't get much closer to dragonflies then that. The one on asphalt in particular was possibly more as he was a spooked easy. Understandable as he was on the path of a busy city park. The one in the yard may have been closer. I keep meaning to to a sharpness test with tele converter to see minimum distance I can be and maintain sharpness but have not yet. I do know that I often have to ditch shots that are too close and blurred. And then I take off tele converter but the insects become smaller then I like.

As an aside, I notice in a lot of my butterfly shots that when I put them on the computer and look at them large I notice leafhoppers and beetles and such crawling around on plant stems in the picture. I don't see that with dragonflies. They might be eating all the insects close to their perch.

Thanks for commenting and thanks also Rafael.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:51 AM   #8

Yes, i`ve noticed tiny insects on quite a few of my recent shots too, mostly aphids. Nice results considering the shooting distances, i`ve found Dragonflies to be one of the hardest insects to approach so being able to get shots further away is a big bonus.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:37 AM   #9

The last one you posted is a White Tail, you have such a variety around there.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:13 PM   #10

vaiboy wrote:
Quote:
The last one you posted is a White Tail, you have such a variety around there.
We have a lot of varied habitat in these parts. The first ones above are from a large field which must have water nearby. The red one and flying shot are from a cemetery pond with trees and bushes If I went to a different pond that is open there would be the large darners. And I haven't started yet on the myriad damselflies or gone to a marsh which would probably have more variety.