Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:50 PM   #1

This is a Black-crowned Night Heron and not often do I see them hunting in daylight.
The meal seemed a bit large but I did not have time to stay and see if he got it down. Bullheads have a pair of side fins plus a back fin that have spikes that can lock straight out from the body, and this heron was being very careful how the fish was held. He or she was also pacing around a lot; possibly waiting for the fish to die and retract the fins.

1. For fans of reflections, a hunting heron.

2. Showing off his catch.

3. A bit of that pacing I mentioned.

4. Testing. Note the fin sticking out of the bill. Don't notice the plastic bag behind the fish and bill though please. It is a scummy dirty pond and things like that are always getting into the shots.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:14 PM   #2

When i read the title for these i expected the heron to be eating something small, as our Uk bullheads are thumb sized fish......i bet it had a struggle getting that down its throat. Nice shots Steve

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:28 PM   #3

Looks like me with the T-Bone at our local pub. Nice capture
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:46 PM   #4

Neat shots Steve, you certainly find a lot of different things to shoot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:07 PM   #5

Thanks for looking and commenting Mark, Rafael and Ted. Mark, if your bullheads are in the catfish family we have tiny ones here called madtoms. Most bullheads caught by people are smaller. It seems only the heron can catch a big one.

I did not post a picture of the heron up in a tree with the fish as he was closer here, but I was impressed that he could fly with it. He caught it, went up in a tree, then flew down to a spot with cover across the pond so I could creep up on him. And he even stayed there while I went to the car and got the tripod. Nice heron he was.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote