Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:13 AM   #1

Hi all, first post so please be gentle with me!

I have both the Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250, but am interested in the MSN-202.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...;rd=1&rd=1

Has anyone used this lens and if so, is there much benefit over the 150 and 250? Is anyone aware of a review, I've tried trawling the internet, but can't find any good data.

thanks in advance
jonpotter63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2007, 1:25 PM   #2

I haven't used that lens, butI suppose it's advantages depend on what you are trying to photograph. For example I don't know how useful something like that would be for taking pictures of insects. You would probably need the lens about an inch away from the subject to focus and most insects wont cooperate at that range.The high magnification will also give you a very shallow DOF. The short working distance also creates more challenges for lighting. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying the lens just giving you some things to consider before you make the purchase. An option would be to find the Raynox CM-3500 macro lens set. It's got three macro lenses the MSN-202, a 6x lens, and a 12x lens. Then if you find the MSN-202 is too much and the DRC-250 isn't enough you can use the 12x lens.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:27 PM   #3

Good idea vaiboy - will look out for the cm-3500. Have you seen any reviews or do you own these lenses? If so, how do you rate them?

thanks
Old Jun 17, 2007, 5:22 PM   #4

I haven't used any of the three lenses to rate them, but I have had nothing butpositive experiences with my other Raynox lenses. I havethe 150, 250, 1540, 6600, and 5320. The 6x lens falls directly between the 150 and 250 for magnification. I can'tfind much info on the lens, but I think it may be a 37mm lens so vignetting will be worse that the 150 and 250. Smaller glass could cause edge softness problems too.The 12x lens would be like stacking a 150 and 250. Ive experimented alot with stacking macro lenses and actually stacking a 150 and 250 doesn't give very good results.I have stacked the 5320 and 250 (13 diopter) with some success. The magnification is great, at that level you can fill the frame with a jumping spider, no cropping on something that small is great. The DOF is pretty shallow with the stacked lenses too, but a single lens like the 12x should provide better DOF than the stacked lenses. The possibility that it's a 37mm lens and not a 43mm like the 150 and 250 are my only concern. I'm really intrigued about the 12x lens in that set though. If I don't buy a new DSLR this year I might get the CM-3500 to play around with.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:34 PM   #5

Just placed an order for the 5320 instead of the MSN's. Didn't think about stacking the 250 - great idea!

thanks