Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:12 PM   #11

Beth Ellen wrote:
Quote:
You sure don't see any folks sporting the FZ50 in this forum. I do understand it has noise issues with the Venus III. I see good photos from it as well and many folks are very happy with it and it still gets a pretty decent recommendation.

Do you all think that they will come out with something this summer that is an improvement?

I have no doubt there will be a new model. I also don't believePanasonic willdo what many want, and that's to decrease the pixel count in some increment and improve higher ISO performance. I think an 8 megapixel camera with clean ISO 800 JPEG capability would make this portion of the market Panasonic's to lose. What I can see happening had already started with the 12 megapixelFX100, but who knows, maybe I've got it all wrong.

If you jump over to the Panasonic forum at DPReview there are more than just a few FZ50 shooters, posting outstanding wildlife/macro images. So many you'd almost think that's all it's good for. What I've found since buying mine is, it is a very capable camera that can handle many more subjects than some think.

While many don't take advantage of it, the totally dedicatedTTL capability alone makesthe FZ50an upgrade to the FZ30. You now can mount either an Olympus or Panasonic flash to the shoe and shoot the camera like you don't have a flash mounted. The two talk to one another and consistently produce first class images whether in Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or full manual modeswithout you having to remember and set an aperture that will work for the setting on the flash...it's automatic, just like a DSLR..

The Panasonic wide angle adaptor gives you a "true" 24mm wide angle affect and very nice image quality..

Contrary to popular belief, you CAN shoot with the FZ50 in low light situations and take good pictures..

Viewed at 100%, you can see the year "2006" on the main candle in front of the alter.

You can even take it to the ballpark and get some decent shots...

In actual use, you can do much more with an FZ50 than many who've never owned one but complained about it say.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:54 AM   #12

rafinmelb, thank you. I agree and do keep in mind the amazing photos by seemolf too!

Greg, I think these are superb photos! I think that an FZ50 would be a legit upgrade from an FZ5 (as it lacks quite a few features even the FZ30 has i.e. hot shoe, etc) even if for many it would not be much of an upgrade from an FZ30. Thanks for sharing your photos. I am going to bookmark your photo page to see your continued work. It will be interesting to see what Panasonic comes up in a year from now or so.

Meanwhile, I found a used (hardly used) Nikon D50 w/lens and now have my first DSLR camera. I decided to balance that with my Panny FZ5 for now. If the D50 doesn't work for me it will resell easy enough to put forward some cash to upgrade my FZ5 or towards a different DSLR.

Thanks all for your input. I am still very interested in Panasonic and whatever they come up with down the road.
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:09 AM   #13

Thank you, Beth Ann.

I'll be going back to Paris for 15 days in the middle part of September and plan to takemany gigs worthof images just like last year, but with this FZ50 and a TZ3 instead of the heavy DSLR outfit like I used last year when we went there for 12 days. I have no doubt theimage quality will be the same, and my shoulders willfeel better due to the muchlighter weight bag!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote