Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1

You sure don't see any folks sporting the FZ50 in this forum. I do understand it has noise issues with the Venus III. I see good photos from it as well and many folks are very happy with it and it still gets a pretty decent recommendation.

Do you all think that they will come out with something this summer that is an improvement?
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:12 PM   #2

I've been waiting to upgrade from the FZ30 tothe next model (FZ50)but when I saw the results I've decided to stay with the 30. I believe the FZ30 isa better camera. If Panasonic decides to go with a bigger CCD and not cram more mega-pixels in the sameCCD,that's when I'll change models, if not, I'll switch to aDSLR. I'm perfectly happy with what I have now.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment Macnite! I considered looking for a used FZ30. Hmm...

Here is a link to some macros with FZ50 and Raynox macro lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalimis...7594487257853/

Old Jun 18, 2007, 4:07 PM   #4

I`ve considered upgrading to either an fz30 or 50 a few times and decided against it. I cant really fault the performance of my fz20, and like you both, after hearing mixed views of the venus 3 engine that put me off a bit too.
Those macros you linked were nice shots Beth but I think theyre more a reflection of the photographers skills rather than the camera. You only have to look at Tchuanye`s shots with his 4mp fz10 to see that higher megapixels arent necessarily the answer (and more recently Bali`s shots too).
At the end of the day i`d only be buying a 30 or 50 for the extra features it has(flip screen, manual zoom etc), not for improved picture quality, so until my fz20 decides to pack in i`ll be sticking with it, and even then i`d probably look for a secondhand fz20 to replace it.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 4:22 PM   #5

I'm still using my FZ20 also. I haven't upgraded because of the constant apeture lens that was lost after the 20. It also takes great macros which is pretty much all I shoot. With the price of DSLR's comming down so much, it doesn't mak sense to buy another point and shoot. A DSLR is in a whole other league. They are much faster, very low noise, and you can change lenses. If you haven't tried one you should. I haven't bought one yet because I've been spending money on other toys: ) I'm also still happy with my FZ20. I would like something faster but it's not worth it to me to spend the money yet. I'm getting there though after try'n my dads Nikon D2H, That thing is crazy fast!
Spencer1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:08 PM   #6

Good points Mark...

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
I`ve considered upgrading to either an fz30 or 50 a few times and decided against it. I cant really fault the performance of my fz20, and like you both, after hearing mixed views of the venus 3 engine that put me off a bit too.
Those macros you linked were nice shots Beth but I think theyre more a reflection of the photographers skills rather than the camera. You only have to look at Tchuanye`s shots with his 4mp fz10 to see that higher megapixels arent necessarily the answer (and more recently Bali`s shots too).
At the end of the day i`d only be buying a 30 or 50 for the extra features it has(flip screen, manual zoom etc), not for improved picture quality, so until my fz20 decides to pack in i`ll be sticking with it, and even then i`d probably look for a secondhand fz20 to replace it.

Mark
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:13 PM   #7

I would love a DSLR and was considering an older model Nikon, like a D70. I guess I just get a bit lost when it comes to what kind of macro lens to get with a good Nikon body...

I think I just have the blues and when I do I want to buy more camera stuff... lol

Spencer1076 wrote:
Quote:
I'm still using my FZ20 also. I haven't upgraded because of the constant apeture lens that was lost after the 20. It also takes great macros which is pretty much all I shoot. With the price of DSLR's comming down so much, it doesn't mak sense to buy another point and shoot. A DSLR is in a whole other league. They are much faster, very low noise, and you can change lenses. If you haven't tried one you should. I haven't bought one yet because I've been spending money on other toys: ) I'm also still happy with my FZ20. I would like something faster but it's not worth it to me to spend the money yet. I'm getting there though after try'n my dads Nikon D2H, That thing is crazy fast!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:43 PM   #8

All my recent shots on this forum are with the FZ50. It has noise issues as does any of the small sensor cameras but it is not nearly as bad as some would make it out to be. But as Mark said, upgrading from the FZ20 to the FZ30 or 50 would only be for the added features as image quality will be about the same. I also have Nikon D50 and love using it. I find each of the cameras have their virtues but I can't pick one over the other. I may upgrade my DSLR one day but I will always have a Panasonic FZ super zoom camera. Unless someone else comes out with a better one which I doubt.

Click on this thumbnail and then again on the image for an FZ50 macro.

A good macro lens for a DSLR would cost more then the FZ50 and the add on lenses that took this shot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:41 AM   #9

Thanks tcook! I had forgotten that you now use the FZ50. Wonderful macro!

I am considering an older model Nikon D70 to use where my FZ5 falls short. Still pondering all of this...
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:01 PM   #10

Beth Ellen, given the shots of yours I have seen you seem to get pretty good results with what you have. I think we all suffer a bit from wanting the latest and greatest. I am a firm believer that it is what is between the ears, rather than in the hands, that makes a good photographer.

When I bought my FZ30 the FZ50 was specified and due out in a couple of months. I decided not to wait because I felt that the FZ30 was good enough for me. I have since taken a view that I have yet to get to the point where the limitations on my photography are with my equipment rather than my skill. So with that view, the only reasons for me to upgrade are when my FZ30 dies, or when my skill outstrips the FZ30s capacity. Both seem fairly remote at present. Whilst I do not regret my decision, I have seen very good results from the FZ50, and I suspect I would be equally happy there if I had chosen that path.

I do not expect Panasonic to me making radical improvements, more likely there will be incremental improvements. The FZ50 had incremental handling and feature improvements over the FZ30. The recent pana releases 'seem' to be making some progress in higher ISO shots. Hopefully all those trends continue, but it is hard to see where a revolutionary jump would come from.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote