Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:46 PM   #1

Question first... when shooting in extremely sunny conditions what can you do to prevent the pics from being washed out looking? I'm sure there is something but so far I haven't found just the thing to do what I need and keep the colors correct. I posted some pics I liked along with some I wish were better to show you exactly what I mean. Also when you shoot and half press it gives you the settings at the bottom of the view. Where do you aim to have it? 0? Or to the left or right of that or does it depend? I think this is part of my problem. Thanks for the help!

stacy0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:28 PM   #2

Which camera are you using........

Several of those photos are over exposed.....but I think you need to compare the histogram to what you saw when you snapped the photo.

If your camera came with a hood I would use it to add contrast to the photos.

Perhaps a little more information and we can help more.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3

I am using the FZ50. Vital info I left out isn't it? I also used the hood for all of those shots if it matters.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:20 AM   #4

I think it does matter that you used a hood and that is a good choice.....a hood helps way more than most people think.

Since I can not see the exif this is a guess........a couple of the photos are just over exposed and if you were using multiple metering there is not much you can do about that except to watch the histogram and try again (the camera just got fooled) and that does not happen much with my FZ30 and I would think the FZ50.

Watch the EVF at the 1/2 press, as what you see it pretty much what you get. ( it is the only advantage an EVF has, IMHO.

Now a couple other of those photos......(the ones with the blown out sky} just exceeded the dynamic range of the camera.....I would say the FZ50 (has about 5 stops of range) that is better than lots of P&Ss. But it means you can not get detail in everything in the photo......myself I think it is much better to get some detail in the sky(a nice blue color and some clouds) and give up some detail in the shadows....but if you are extremely bothered by noise you will not like that method.

After all that typing I reread your post and you mentioned the exposure meter....You must be shooting in Manual mode......perhaps you should back up to P mode or aperture mode until you ge a better understanding of your camera.......The FZ50 is a very smart camera when it comes to exposure.

The meter should be centered but that is a lot on your preference.....most of the photos you posted , you should have set the meter toward minus.

Do not forget at the 1/2 press what you see is what you get. And do not be afraid tochange the area you meter on that can make a huge difference.....meter on a light area you will have a darker photo meter on a dark area you will get a lighter photo (not in manual exposure)

Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:18 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. I did tend to make sure the exposure meter was centered. More so than what the picture looked like. I will pay more attention to the actual picture instead of trying to hit 0 on the meter. It's a good camera and outsmarts me more times than I care to admit. It seems more experimenting and patienceare the keys.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:14 AM   #6

To what genece said I will just add a bit from my experence. (FZ7 though) For the exposure setting in manual I aim from 0 to a slight negative mark. And it does not always work, but for subjects where I can I try and find a bright spot, push button half way down to set exposure and focus, then keep it down while framing the shot. That would not work well with your flowers and sky though as the bright spot is sky and the focus would be off on the flowers.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:24 AM   #7

I have been playing with metering this weekend and it really does make a huge difference. Thank you both for the comments!

Oh one more thing how do I post so that the exif data is visible?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:21 PM   #8

About the exif.....there are programs that strip it and other that can be set to save or strip the exif......But one thing that always strips it is if you save for the web instead of "Save as"

Then you do need an Exif reader to read the exif......Opanda Iexif is a good application for that but there are many others.

This is only to show the effect......photo only resized and posted
Attached Images