Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:46 PM   #1

Ok so I just got my 383 and so far I love it. Do any of you guys know of any good cheap flash diffusers? I want to do a lot of macro work now since I have a better flash but now I need a diffuser. I was looking on B&H but I don't know which one to get. Any help is appreciated!
treed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:01 PM   #2

I've beenpretty happy with theSto-Fen Omnibounce.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:16 PM   #3

Alright cool. So is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ni_Bounce.html
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:03 PM   #4

Yep that's the one!
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 6:33 PM   #5

Sweet! Then I'll probably just get this, hell it's dirt cheap.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:36 PM   #6

Or you could look at this, which you can make for yourself, and if you lose or break it you can make another in five minutes:

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

Incidentally, whilst looking at the B&H page, check the cost of having them send one to where I am (Australia - set zip code to 3000). Whew!!
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:45 AM   #7

Check "Adorama", they have an abundance of diffusers. I'm getting the LumiQuest Promax Ultrasoft Bounce for $22.95. Its ideal for close-up and portraiture.

Ijustreceived my "383" also, Iused itonce indoors and I'm very disappointed. The pictures are dark, not enough light. The settings on my flash are set at auto. Do youmind sharing your experience and settings? Thanks,

Emmanuel

Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:53 AM   #8

Emmanuel, set the flash to manual, set the ISO to the same value as the camera and control the flash output manually via the slide switch.
Auto settings only work with cameras that have TTL flash configuration I think...thats probably why your shots are dark.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:53 AM   #9
Administrator

Macnite wrote:
Quote:
Ijustreceived my "383" also, Iused itonce indoors and I'm very disappointed. The pictures are dark, not enough light. The settings on my flash are set at auto. Do youmind sharing your experience and settings? Thanks,
What are your settings on the camera?

You need to use manual exposure on the camera, setting it's aperture and ISO speed to match the ISO speed and aperture shown on the flash scale for the Auto Range you're using. Make sure to set your White Balance, too (around 5500k is usually good for flash, or try your camera's flash or sunny White Balance settings).

Then, select a shutter speed that is reasonable to let in the amount of Ambient Light desired. Usually around 1/100 second is a good starting point (although I'll often go a little slower if there is not enough ambient light contributing for the settings I'm using).

Shutter speed makes no difference in the amount of light being seen from the flash (since the flash burst length is usually 1/1000 second or faster).

If you're bouncing the llash, you'll need to use a more powerful range (since you've got ceiling height, diffusion from the bounce and more impacting the light your subject receives).

When the settings for the camera and flash match, the sensor on the front of the flash terminates the flash output when it sees enough reflected light for the aperture and ISO speed shown. If it consistently under or overexposes, and all else is set correctly, just open or close your aperture a bit to tweak it. For example, if the flash tells you to use ISO 200 and f/5.6 and it's a stop underexposed, use ISO 200 and f/4 instead (or ISO 400 and f/5.6 instead).

It should be pretty close without any tweaking though, provided the settings on the camera and flash match for the aperture range selected, and your shooting within the distances shown on the flash scale for the Auto Range selected (but, if you're bouncing, you may need a more powerful range to handle the increased distance to and from the ceiling, and the light diffusion that will occur).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:54 AM   #10

I still say you get the best results from just wrapping a white handkerchief around the flash head.
OK so it don't look as cool but it's cheap and it works
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote