Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:21 PM   #1

Last night on my evening hike I headed down a mowed path thru a field. After 150 yds I saw a Doe and a fawn

I caught the doe as she was relieving herself

She took off with her fawn across the trail to the right and stopped at the edge of the treeline 30yds away. As I was readying for another shot this little fella makes a beeline for me from my left

He keeps coming and takes a whiff of me

and starts posing

and poses some more

I started trying to walk off but he happily walked beside his new friend or hopped along behind me. finally I slipped away and his mother and sibling came across and rounded him up. Later on around dark I saw these bucks in the field nearby, I wonder which one is the father and if he will remember this when hes one of those bucks in the field? I like to think that he will. It was my greatest experience in the woods or with the camera. thanks for reading

cal34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:28 PM   #2

Normally we try and avoid having our shadows in the shot, but your shadow falling across him when he comes to take a sniff quite makes that shot perfect. Thanks for sharing this neat nature story.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 1:20 PM   #3

Amazing shots ... these animals are hard to capture well especially at the far end of zoom good job well done !!!

Pants
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:11 AM   #4

Must have overlooked this thread. Superb shots Cal, which have inspired me to try for a few Deer shots myself soon. Which camera are you using again?

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:41 PM   #5

WOW, those are SUPER and what a NEAT experience!!! I luved this whole series and thanx for sharing!!:|
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:39 PM   #6

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
Must have overlooked this thread. Superb shots Cal, which have inspired me to try for a few Deer shots myself soon. Which camera are you using again?

Mark
Thanks, It was the Panasonic fz50 with the TCON 17 on most of them.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:41 PM   #7

PantsUK wrote:
Quote:
Amazing shots ... these animals are hard to capture well especially at the far end of zoom good job well done !!!

Pants
Thanks, They are hard to shoot if youre zoomed in. I get alot of blurry ones. The sports mode helps on the fz50. They move alot more than it appears.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:19 PM   #8

Very nice captures and a very nice series.

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:11 PM   #9

cal34 wrote:
Quote:
PantsUK wrote:
Quote:

Pants
Thanks, They are hard to shoot if youre zoomed in. I get alot of blurry ones. The sports mode helps on the fz50. They move alot more than it appears.
If anyone reading this comes to Chicago, try and book some time to take a walk in some of our forest preserves or go to the city's very own North Park Village Nature Center. The deer here are downright friendly and photogenic and you can get very close.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote