Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 1, 2007, 9:59 AM   #11

Yup! The perfect camera would have everything, cost nothing, come with omnipresent and supreme tech and customer support. It would be neither too big nor too small, but just the right size. Anything different we can discuss...

john
jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:51 PM   #12

Its me being realistic about a Panasonic DSLR, they aint exactly known for quality DSLR making, other companies are, so they have to beat them lot and I just cannot see that happening, they may stun us with this new camera for all I know as I am no DSLR expert. I just know theres a few camera that need to be beaten for this camera to be popular, so its got a hard job before its even released.

I rarley use the viewfinder for many reasons. The biggest is I dont want to be down in the dirt taking images of insects with my head in the grass etc..

Taking images with the viewfinder is fine, but you cannot get on the floor al the time, or see when the cameras up above your head or down on the floor with a viewfinder. The LCD for me wins nearly every time, unless the weathers too bright and makes it hard to use the LCD.

We all use it different ways, I just dont want to put my eye to the viewfinder and tell people I am taking their images, with the LCD screen I can snap away and people have no clue I am snapping them, makes for far better images I find as they dont pose for starters.

The viewfinder for the Panasonic camera is pointless most the timne for me, its not a real view, its just the LCD screen shrunk down inside the viewfinder, to me thats not good at all. I want to see the real things I am snapping, not a small LCD screen inside the viewfinder.

If I want to look at an LCD screen I use the big one, not a awful little one which restricts me no end as my eyes is stuck to the camera limiting its use.

But each to their own :G
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:57 PM   #13

romerojpg wrote:
Quote:
I cannot see me getting one of these unless its beats the masters of DSLR's Canon and Nikon, I just dont see Panasonic doing well agasint them at all in any way.

I will only go for DSLR when we can live preview the image on the LCD screen anyway, no way I am using the viewfinder only to take images, its so ristricting its crap.
the viewfinders in most DSLRs would probably change your mind... not "restricting" at all, especially since using the LCD is often prohibitive due to bright ambient light, or simply the weight and size of the camera, especially with a long zoom lens. holding 6 pounds of camera and lens extended at arm's length, while focusing, zooming, and trying to compose your image, is simply not avery good way to take photos. the only time a live preview makes sense for a DSLR is in a studio on a tripod, and if you do a lot of studio work, you're probably looking at the Canon EOS 1D Mk III, but that's a $4500 body.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:26 PM   #14

Yup I cannot say I have ever used a Viewfinder on a DSLR (used a few old SLR's year s ago). But I do love composing on a LCD screen most the time, I know many frown on it and find it odd, but I just seem to find it so easy.

Still I will upgrade to DSLR once the Live preview is on the LCD, then I have the option of both at least. If it wasnt for Macro and crowds (sticking the camer way above my eye line in the air, imposible to compose with viewfinder) I wouldnt need to use the LCD screen as much, as Macro for me I could never get many of the shots I take with my eye to a viewfinder, ever :O
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:36 PM   #15

It seem amazing that people have been using optical viewfinders for years and all of a sudden it can not be done that way........And I would have a different view of liveview if it was indeed live....
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:43 PM   #16

It maybe can be done that way, but its very, very, very hard.

You try sticking your head in a hole behind a wall which you cannot get your head into, I did that a few weeks ago with the camera and still could shoot pics, you couldnt ever shoot the things I did without a LCD screen that swivels, as your head des not fit into certain places to see thru a Viewfinder. Why make it harder than it needs to be? and hey times move on, just becuase someone does something one way for years, doesnt make it the best way for everyone.

The Live View is exactly why I am waiting, as its still flawed and thats why the big names havent even bothered going into it yet. Its still years away it seems.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:15 PM   #17

Live view or not, LCD use or not. It is nice that there is a choice for those who think outside of the box. It adds to some creativity for those that have that mindset while some are dyed in the wool, tried and true to one thing. Taking technically sound pictures of the same thing over and over again for me is rather boring.

I have a swivel LCDscreen Canon A620 and I get shots I never could with my dSLR.

I like innovation and the choices.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote